Choosing which Lawrence Fishfinder/Chartplotter

jacobj12k

I just took delivery of my new to me 1998 Bayliner 2859 Cierra Express hardtop.  New electronics are a must have.  I will be primarily trolling Lake Ontario and cruising a bit as well.  

I plan to get a 9" Lowrance.  Trying to decide between Hook-9 Mid/High DownScan, Elite-9 CHIRP or HDS Gen2 Touch.  Any suggestions or pros/cons?

I will be putting on a new transducer.  Through hull or stern mount?  Pros/Cons?

i have lowrance elite 5 chirp and elite hdi they both have excellent pictures the down part for the chirp series if you run a fish hawk the chirp will make interference with the fish hawk the hdi doesn't

Lowrance has 9" touch screen also, I have the elite 7 HDI which I love but the hds gen 2 is in the same money bracket and you can run the platinum cards where the HDI you can only use the premium cards, personally I'd have to see the differance, but that's one up for the gen 2. If I had to do it all over with these options it would have to be the Gen 2 touch. You just have to weigh the pros & cons. You will get so many differant opinions, it's a Chevy vs. Ford deal. Especially if your going through hull I wouldn't pussy foot around with the elite units. Good luck and make your own decision.

I just installds a Lowrance Hook 7X . I haven't had an opportunity to use it in deep water yet . Seems very sensitive and works well in shallow water . Still trying to get a handle on different frequencies and CHIRP settings

If you plan to interface to your motor or other devices and possibly get the Lowrance autopilot in the future, the HDS gen2 or 3 is the best choice. I have mine displaying all engine functions on the screen and plan to soon get autopilot and hydraulic steering. Need a later model outboard that is nema 2000 compatible to do this. Really nice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not sure about the chirp, but the elite 7hdi processor is a little lacking. I bought it cause they're cheaper, but the downscan overlay feature almost always freezes, and the gps can't handle a platinum card most likely due to the processor I believe. A quick google search users said they could barely handle some navionics cards and they always froze up as well. It's a great fish finder, but I would spring for an HDS hands down. Also the note about the autopilot lrg355 pointed out.

• 2 weeks later...