my gf and i launched the boat at 5 last night and worked from 50 to 85 ft some good hooks on the screen but only ended up 1 for 2 and the 1 was a laker.  Im having trouble with my kicker motor i cant get it to hold any speed.  It will run good for a couple mins at a certain speed then it will slow down or speed up by itself.  I have taken the carb out cleaned it and i have adjusted everything so the motor should be running great.  It starts on half a pull and will run all day but i just cant get it to hold speed.  Im at a total loss right now so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.  I would take it in and have it looked at but lack of money puts a damper on that.  

Could  be the mixture o2 to fuel. Is it on a stand alone tank? Some times the O rings at the tank no longer have a perfect seal or a leak in the air side of the fuel hose to the motor. That's the same symptoms I've experienced with kicker motors. If it's fuel fed from the main tank again check the fuel line and connections to the tank.  

Dave I had the same thing with my 2 stroke 9.9 intermittently and  I narrowed it down to a couple of things the gas/oil mixture and the lean/rich setting on the motor itself. I had to play with it to get it right (the lean rich knob) but the air thing may be a distinct possibility I know sometime when I would forget to open the air intake on the tank itself it would run erratically too. I'd try looking at those things before spending the $$ on a new tank :) . Good luck with it.

Dave I had the same thing with my 2 stroke 9.9 intermittently and I narrowed it down to a couple of things the gas/oil mixture and the lean/rich setting on the motor itself. I had to play with it to get it right (the lean rich knob) but the air thing may be a distinct possibility I know sometime when I would forget to open the air intake on the tank itself it would run erratically too. I'd try looking at those things before spending the $$ on a new tank :) . Good luck with it.

I did adjust my lean rich knob to the best of my ability and it seems to be running smooth. I will try the air intake. Thanks Les

I HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM AND FOUND IT TO BE IN MY THOTHAL CABLE WHEN I MAKE A TURN ON MY STEERING WHEEL IT SPEEDS UP OR SLOWS DOWN .I HAVE NOT FOUND A FIX FOR IT.I HAVE A 4 STROKE YAMAHA

Yes mine does the same thing but it also happens when I'm not turning

Maybe float or needle valve , sticking , bowl filling up and then when half empty boat slows then needle opens fills with gas ,speeds up , sticks again , just saying or needle corroded from poop gas,

If it is a 2 stroke you may have a problem with your link#sinc. To  be more precise, just above your carburetor there is a small wheel that moves back and forth as you speed up or slow down. Sometimes that little wheel is worn down on one side,instead of round it is flat on one side. As you accelerate the wheel moves up and syncronizes  the timing advance,but then it flips back onto the flat side and the RPMs go down ( the engine will burn rich and your plugs will go black). you will keep on adjusting and the wheel will keep on flipping back to the flat side. This wheel is easily replaced for about $5 and it is a very easy fix.

Edited by rolmops

There may also be another problem which is also easily fixed.

On some remote control boxes (cables) There is an adjustment screw that controls the ease of movement that the cables move back and forth with. You tighten it and it will be harder to move the handle and the cable won't slide back. But I am just guessing here. Without seeing the engine all my advice is just a guess.

There may also be another problem which is also easily fixed.

On some remote control boxes (cables) There is an adjustment screw that controls the ease of movement that the cables move back and forth with. You tighten it and it will be harder to move the handle and the cable won't slide back. But I am just guessing here. Without seeing the engine all my advice is just a guess.

Yes I know what screw your talking about I will check it out along with the little wheel. Thank you for the great info I appreciate it!

Does NYS have common law? :P

The kicker on my Lund changes speeds on the turn when she's hooked up to the big motor for steering. The setting that regulates how hard it is to turn the motor is set too high, but neither I nor several professionals can figure out how to reduce it, since it appears to be at its lowest setting. That's good, in that the motor steers where you point it. It's bad in that the choke ends up responding to turns, causing the issue. The guy I bought it from years ago was a walleye fisherman and never used the kicker except to backtroll, so it was perfect for him. I don't troll enough out of the Lund to worry about it much though.

Edited by Gator

Does NYS have common law? :P

The kicker on my Lund changes speeds on the turn when she's hooked up to the big motor for steering. The setting that regulates how hard it is to turn the motor is set too high, but neither I nor several professionals can figure out how to reduce it, since it appears to be at its lowest setting. That's good, in that the motor steers where you point it. It's bad in that the choke ends up responding to turns, causing the issue. The guy I bought it from years ago was a walleye fisherman and never used the kicker except to backtroll, so it was perfect for him. I don't troll enough out of the Lund to worry about it much though.

haha it's only been 3yrs that we have been living together.

I can't get it to hold speed even when I'm not turning. It will either speed up or slow down when I'm going straight and not touching nothing. I have a couple things to check that have been mentioned to me so I will be doing it today and hopefully find the problem before I loose 3 days of fishing this weekend

Get a couple bags and use the main. Don't ruin your weekend!

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What he said...yup, I learned that from Ray K. ..trolling for old bags works if ya git enough of them, they'll slow ya down good. Also allows 8 to 10 dipsey divers at once..that gets ya down even slower![emoji12]

Seriously, bags works! Where is that bag lady?

Earl! This guy needs bags!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When you squeeze the inline bulb does it get hard and stay at that. Sound like its pulling air on the rev. up and then slows down on the account of either not enough fuel or to much. When it slows down does it smoke like hell, if not then it's not getting enough fuel, I'd switch out the primer bulb, they can make you pull your hair out.