WHLS - BIG WATER DERBY

Who wants to fish for CASH ALL SEASON?? We are putting together several derby's that will give us something to fish for in between the LOC derby's and will be running until the end of September.

Three divisions - Salmon, Steelhead and Brown Trout.

This is going to be a trial run and if interest is good we will grow it.

Dates we are looking at are June 11th to June 30th / August 1st to August 18th / September 6th to September 30th.

$30.00 entry fee for each derby.

Derby's will be run under same format as LOC with some slight differences in the rules. (Be sure to review derby rules)

Private and Charter boats - Same registration format as LOC.

For the trial run we currently have weigh in and registration locations from Fair Haven to Rochester (same locations as LOC) Screwy Louie's, Warren's Hook Line & Sinker, Hughes Marina, South Bay

Payout will be based on entries for trial run.

Example of payout per entry:

200 entrees @ $30.00 = $6000.00

400 entrees @ $30.00 = $12,000.00

600 entrees @ $30.00 = $18,000.00

There will be a grand prize for largest salmon and depending on number of entrees, payout could be up to 10 places in each division.

Plus there will be day pass for charter boat clients and a separate youth division.

To review derby rules you can visit us on Facebook (Warren's Hook Line & Sinker) or our website at soduspointbaitshop.com

Warren's Hook Line & Sinker 315-483-2183

Although I would have to disagree with the popularity of species targeted, I am open to whatever the majority wants. A LT division is fine if that is what you want. However, lets target trophy class fish with a minimum weight of 20 pounds. (there's plenty out there) So less than 1% of views have voiced their opinion, what do the rest of you want?

Who wants a LT division with minimum weight of 20 pounds added????

We had slight delay getting registration forms, they will be at Screwy Louie's, South Bay Boat and Tackle and Warren's Hook Line & Sinker Friday June 3rd. Derby begins June 11th

Although I would have to disagree with the popularity of species targeted, I am open to whatever the majority wants. A LT division is fine if that is what you want. However, lets target trophy class fish with a minimum weight of 20 pounds. (there's plenty out there) So less than 1% of views have voiced their opinion, what do the rest of you want?

Who wants a LT division with minimum weight of 20 pounds added????

We had slight delay getting registration forms, they will be at Screwy Louie's, South Bay Boat and Tackle and Warren's Hook Line & Sinker Friday June 3rd. Derby begins June 11th

Nice touch!

In in defense of tacklebuster, he did say this was a trial run. He did state that things will change and get better with more participants. The participants are the ones that make the derbies work. A definite must to add a lake trout division. This will attract many more entries. In my opinion, brown trout really don't fit those dates. But you do land a few. I'm on board either way with or without the lake trout division. I fish 3 to 5 times a week. The more possibilities i have to win cash, I'm there. Let's do this. Tacklebuster, add the LT and I feel this could take off. We all understand this is work in progress. Changes will happen, fine tuning will take place. We are fishermen, we are born with patients. IT'S A FISHAL is on board.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The fishery is going in the direction of a lake trout fishery.  Lakers are the future of the Great Lakes. If you don't believe it, you are in for a big surprise.  The writing is on the wall.   I like the 20lb minimum.  The LOC should up the minimum to at least 17lbs. 

The fishery is going in the direction of a lake trout fishery. Lakers are the future of the Great Lakes. If you don't believe it, you are in for a big surprise. The writing is on the wall. I like the 20lb minimum. The LOC should up the minimum to at least 17lbs.

That's it! You finally helped me make my decision...... everything i own is up for sale! Edited by JakeyBaby

The fishery is going in the direction of a lake trout fishery.  Lakers are the future of the Great Lakes. If you don't believe it, you are in for a big surprise.  The writing is on the wall.   I like the 20lb minimum.  The LOC should up the minimum to at least 17lbs. 

HAHA ya i've been reading all that jazz to and the bait fish are gone to but i happen to know where there is a 40 mile long strip of bait out there.So all them reads are out the window. :)

HAHA ya i've been reading all that jazz to and the bait fish are gone to but i happen to know where there is a 40 mile long strip of bait out there.So all them reads are out the window. :)

Too bad you have no idea what is going on behind the scenes John.  You can tell them until you are blue in the face that the bait is there but they will not listen to us. 

Too bad you have no idea what is going on behind the scenes John.  You can tell them until you are blue in the face that the bait is there but they will not listen to us. 

I have a clue. and i'm familiar with the Lake trout restoration projects and have read all the great lake biology reports. All i'm saying brian is don't believe everything you read.  Things have been on a down swing the last two seasons with the balance of the lake and at this point we are on a up swing of things as far as the bait and salmon are concerned not saying its going to be like the good old days with big numbers but the quality of the fish are going to be much better for 2016 than last year. I get most my info from my buddy D.e.c dave a biologist that works for the d.e.c ,he swings buy the boat for chats a couple times a week during the season as i'm always trying to understand what the lake and fish are doing but sometimes they just trick me.

The DEC wants to cut stocking because the bottom trawls were not good again this spring. Ask your DEC buddy about the bottom trawls.

Edited by GAMBLER

Fishermen really get off track quick, I thought this post was about our upcoming derby, not  the state of the lake. I believe there are several topics of that discussion open!!!!!!!!

Just sayin

I agree!

Huh? 7 out of 20 really.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just looked back. Historically 12-20 of the Lakers in the spring and summer derby (and more often than not all 20) are more than 20 lbs, going back to 2013. In the years before, usually 5-10 are more than 20, and pretty much all of them are 17+

Is that a 20lbs. minimum on browns too? I am hoping you meant kings and lake trout. I also feel 17lbs. would be good for lake trout if you do a lake trout division. Would it be possible to get a tackle shop on the east end to participate maybe in the Henderson area?

Us guys on the far east end really get screwed when it comes to tournaments. Oswego by water is 30 miles and 70 by land.

Edited by Chas0218

Just looked back. Historically 12-20 of the Lakers in the spring and summer derby (and more often than not all 20) are more than 20 lbs, going back to 2013. In the years before, usually 5-10 are more than 20, and pretty much all of them are 17+

But your talking a ton more entries for these stats. 17# or 18# seams about right.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app