trim goes down but not up

Lively1

Checking all the electrical stuff on the boat, found the trim buttons will make the outdrive go down, but doesnt respond to pushing the up button. However the trailer button will raise the drive.  Is there an easy way to check the switch? Are up and down on separate circuits? 

What about the solenoid?  Amazon says it is "frequently bought together" with the limit switch. Bear in mind, had a reverse

polarity event (crossed battery cables ) recently.

Edited by Lively1

Trim only works up to a certain point, once above that hight the trailer button will raise the out drive the rest of the way. Try to trim it right down to bottom, the trim will work. Trim is for minor adjustments while under power, the trailer feature is used to raise out drive

Lively I think you can take whatever Hank says to the bank....he really knows what he is talking about :)

Trim only works up to a certain point, once above that hight the trailer button will raise the out drive the rest of the way. Try to trim it right down to bottom, the trim will work. Trim is for minor adjustments while under power, the trailer feature is used to raise out drive

Turns out 07warrior was correct. Once I got it in the water and lowered the outdrive to operating position, lo and behold the trim works in both directions.  But thanks to everyone who responded, it's all useful information.. 

I didn't realize you were unfamiliar with the boat and/or how the trim/tilt system works on a Mercruiser, Lively. The way it was worded I assumed this was a problem that had just occurred and you were asking why. Good to see your all set. :yes: