National Lake Trout Derby Regulation Question

Hi all,

A few years back, i tried to launch my boat shortly before 6am and there was about a 30 minute wait (launching line). Thus, i have begun to launch around 5:15am, head out to my areas, but not put a line in the water until 6am. Then i heard someone commenting on the "armada" of boats on the water before 6am that were breaking the start time rule. I don't see how i could be breaking that rule if i have no lines in the water. Will you give me your opinion on this?

thanks,

andre

Hi Dre -A couple of things involved I think.  I don't think the 6 AM start time on the first day refers to when you launch it is when you put your lines in the water. This may become real important in the event that you win or place highly because you are subject to a polygraph test (which I used to think was just to scare folks into doing the right thing) but apparently it is one of the questions asked (did you start before 6AM? ) according to a friend I know who was administered the polygraph so it isn't just a "scare tactic" the wrong answer could disqualify someone. Good luck out there tomorrow. :)

Hi Les,

thanks for your quick response. I have never taken a polygraph test, but i hope to have to take one real soon :) !!!!

I suppose that because it is my belief that i am not fishing until a line/lure touches the water, i would pass that question - even if i did launch at 5:15a. I'm still curious what others think on this matter.

dre

I think it may be noted that over the years not every one has had a boat or launched  they used to heavily fish from shore along the seawall and off the rocks at the Chamber even etc. and wait until 6 AM to throw their lines in so in terms of consistency I would think it refers to lines in the water and not "launch time".

on deadliest catch they run out 150 miles to the fishing grounds a day early but don't drop a pod to the magic time . I think it means when you put you gear in the water as sk8man said they should state the start time better

• 5 months later...

My hunch is  the rationale may be that historically folks have launched just before daylight to try to get the jump on the sun coming up and they have had to basically sit and wait before putting lines in the water as one of the questions on the lie detector test relates to whether or not you started before the start time of 6 AM. The 5 AM start time seems realistic in terms of fishing the shallow water for browns especially before the sun is up.

Just curious, but may I ask why? Instead of boats launching at 5:15 it will now be 4:15. Will this continue to change? Do you see a 12:01am Saturday start time in the future?

I just read Sk8mans statement and he pretty much summed it up... In the past, start time was set by the fact that registration ends at 430 am. It took them till 6 to process late registrations. Therefore start time was 6am. Now that we are using email and other modern avenues those processes will be more streamlined and a 5am start time ( much more desired than 6) is now possible.

In the future I don't see this time changing... I don't see any reason for a 1201 for instance.

Sent from my VK410 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I just read Sk8mans statement and he pretty much summed it up... In the past, start time was set by the fact that registration ends at 430 am. It took them till 6 to process late registrations. Therefore start time was 6am. Now that we are using email and other modern avenues those processes will be more streamlined and a 5am start time ( much more desired than 6) is now possible.

In the future I don't see this time changing... I don't see any reason for a 1201 for instance.

Sent from my VK410 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thank   Goodness!!  Us old guys can barely keep up as it is! 

My hunch is  the rationale may be that historically folks have launched just before daylight to try to get the jump on the sun coming up and they have had to basically sit and wait before putting lines in the water as one of the questions on the lie detector test relates to whether or not you started before the start time of 6 AM. The 5 AM start time seems realistic in terms of fishing the shallow water for browns especially before the sun is up.

Oh ok I get it now, seeing the last few years browns have been hard to come by and getting size has been tough. Lol, just kidding Les, poking you a little.