Trolling motor battery help

I just received congressional approval (the honorable wife) for a new 24 volt bow mount trolling motor, either the ulterra or terrova, .

Anyway ,whats everybody's opinion on the best battery?Im getting conflicting info as I do my research, some claim a battery brand "x" is

great and other reviews say two days after warranty the battery is shot.

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Chuck

I went through this a couple months ago. The boat had interstates from 2008. I had to replace them this spring (my first year with the boat). I bought two new interstates after a few suggestions on here and the fact that the previous batteries lasted 8 years.

King Slammin, I seen one of your post using the trolling motor as auto pilot, which is one of the applications I was using it for.

But you said you only got about 5 hours of battery life is that correct?

which size battery are you using ? And are you using 24 volt trolling motor?

Chuck

when buying a new battery check the manufacturers' date code to determine when it was made. a "new" battery could have been sitting on the dealer's shelf for years if they don't sell lots of batteries.

it will be on a sticker or molded into the battery top

months are A-L, A being January, B is February, and so on.

years are numerical, 14 would be 2014.

D11 would indicate the battery was made in April of 2011. it's like buying milk- look for the ones on the back of the shelf to be freshest.

Not enough time on my trolling batteries yet to tell.  We also have a pair in the Sportcraft 252.  One is to crank the engine and the other runs out electronics. Two seasons and no problems.

24 volt terrova. Autopilot for steering with the main motor as thrust will last all day. Just using the terrova for night walleye in shallow, I only get about 5 hrs

King Slammin, when you use your terrova for steering, in how much you have to settle the power thrust to keep the boat straight and be able to last all day.   

I take all 3 of my batteries out of the boat when I winterize and keep them on float chargers all winter. This year when I put them back in the boat, I mistakenly reversed the on-board charger wires and fried the charger. (i think that's what caused it anyway) So my wife (The Warden) gave me permission to buy a new one. I leave the batteries plugged into the charger 24-7 unless I'm using the boat.

I bought two of the Cabelas AGM 30 series for my 80 lb terrova.  So far they are working well, although I have only had them a few months.  I also use my terrova to steer along with my kicker for propulsion.  I have to turn mine up a little higher than Slammin does though, in order for it to steer well I have to turn mine up higher than he does.  I think that is due to the higher profile of my Fishmaster in the wind.