Flat lining is when you run unweighted line like mono. Since its a weighted line that sinks, I think you mean running it down the chute which is highly effective and great if you don't have boards. It can be a bit of a pain when you're fighting a fish on another line, but it's s great way to keep your spread manageable.

Good luck

A copper down the chute can be very effective both a catching fish and making huge messes.

Yup! :)

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Going without a board is not called flatlining, but rather it's called going down the chute (down the middle of the stern).  Some people do it, but I use boards. If you have a salmon hit a dipsey and peel off 200 ft of line, chances are it will come up and behind the boat and cross the copper line, which will make a mess.

We got the new Church Tackle lockjaw clips, with a twist using your thumb they can be clipped down or clipped off. Can hold your rod now while fighting a fish, and take the board off with one hand!

Those clips hold the rod fairly secure.  You can also use a rubber band as extra security.

Here's a link to the clips I have:

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/planer-boards/944402.aspx

It takes some getting used to...for example...finding out what coppers you can use with what depth dipsies, how to turn with them, how to deal with them with a fish on...but when you get used to it...it works wonders.

Edited by ryonybony

On Horsin Around, Dr Lou and Paul developed an interesting solution to the cluster effs. They let 600 feet of copper out of the chute, then about 10 feet of backing and a huge bobber. Next they let out another few hundred feet of backing and they placed the rod in the rack above the cabin. Whoever was new on the team had the honor of reeling this setup in every so often. Yours truly had the honor a few times,until the big bobber miraculously disappeared.

On Horsin Around, Dr Lou and Paul developed an interesting solution to the cluster effs. They let 600 feet of copper out of the chute, then about 10 feet of backing and a huge bobber. Next they let out another few hundred feet of backing and they placed the rod in the rack above the cabin. Whoever was new on the team had the honor of reeling this setup in every so often. Yours truly had the honor a few times,until the big bobber miraculously disappeared.

Could you be referring to a Shark Bobber. I run the same set up out here using a Shark Bobber . It really sucks for the guy reeling it all in and about 1/4 way in the fish gets off

Edited by stan

Could you be referring to a Shark Bobber. I run the same set up out here using a Shark Bobber . It really sucks for the guy reeling it all in and about 1/4 way in the fish gets off

Stan, a shark bobber? Heck, just send one of your guys out in a dingy, on a tow rope, with the copper rod, 100 feet behind the boat. There's your shark bobber!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 1 month later...

I have been running this copper all summer in the local lakes by me. I am currently running 3 riggers,1 lead, and one planer with snap weights. I have to say that the copper has been out fishing all the setups that I have been running . I have caught lakers,Browns , and a couple 5 lb rainbows on it!!!

Why not use outboard Rod holders for Shute rods & drail all the lines to maintain various separations & cut length of wire way down ? Why deploy 500' when a 3 to 6 oz drail would get same depths . U can also cut speed & deploy a compatible set ! Just wondering ?