tough weekend out of sandy

got home from work Friday afternoon and ripped the carb out of my kicker motor to give it another major cleaning cause Ive been having problems with it holding speed. i got it put back together hooked the boat up to the truck for Saturday morning.

Saturday i launched solo around 630 to mainly see if the motor was fixed or not.  About 30 mins into the troll it was clear that my motor still wasnt holding speed.  After talking to my brother on the phone i decided it was time to rebuild the carb. So thats what i did for the morning into the afternoon till about 3pm. My gf got home around 4 and she wanted to go fishing so we launched the boat about 5.  We headed out to 60 ft set out lines and started trolling.  The kicker motor was a lot better but still not perfect so i started adjusting the throttle cable and quickly realized it was majorly loose where it goes into the motor.  Once i got that tight all was well and we were finally trolling properly again!  We found a small break in about 100 ft of water and worked that for about an hour taking a decent 25 inch steelie for the dinner table.  We dropped something heavy on the wire rod (probably a laker) while we were fighting the steelie. We saw the sky getting dark so we pulled rods and headed in around 7.

Sunday morning my gf and I launched the boat at 6 and headed out to 50 ft where the screens have been decent. We worked from 50 to 70 ft for 3 hours without moving a single rod. I pointed her north and we took 2 skippys off slider between 90 and 100 ft both on the same warrior spoon.  We started working 90 to 100 ft but when we crossed over to 100 ft I noticed that down 60 ft the temp dropped 2 degrees. I know it wasnt a big break but was better than anything else i was seeing so we worked it and were rewarded with a nice 9 or 10 lb steelie.  ended the day with 3 skippys and 2 steelhead.

Monday morning I got a late start didnt launch til 930.  I headed out to the same area that we took the steelies in the day before but never got into anything to speak of.  I caught 3 or 4 skippys and thats it.  I thought about going out for lakers but really wanted silver fish instead so i never went out there. I work from 70 to 110 ft til around 1pm when the lake really started to kick up.     

Best spoons for me were michigan stinger uv pink tuxedo and warrior natural born slayer.  7 color leadcore and slider on 60 ft rigger took 90% of my fish this weekend

So your girlfriend wanted to go fishing?Sounds fishy. Nice post glad to see you may have your motor fixed.

well lets be honest i always want to go fishing so all she has to do is ask to go and the boat magically gets hooked up to the truck  lol

You launched behind us on Saturday morning. You always launch from Sandy ? Do you use a radio ?

The chatter happens on 72

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I saw you on my way out about 130 pm Monday, I fished with my partner and his son in law and did about 5 skippys a steelie and a laker. we were hoping for a screamer and had one for half a minute b4 he broke off. I was using 8# test on the screamer but that was not the problem, If you use light line and a blacks release use a rubberband in the release not direct line because the line was weakened at the point of release not because of 8# test

You launched behind us on Saturday morning. You always launch from Sandy ? Do you use a radio ?

i do launch at sandy til about June then i switch and go out of the oak.  I dont use a radio cause mine broke and i just havent replaced it yet

I saw you on my way out about 130 pm Monday, I fished with my partner and his son in law and did about 5 skippys a steelie and a laker. we were hoping for a screamer and had one for half a minute b4 he broke off. I was using 8# test on the screamer but that was not the problem, If you use light line and a blacks release use a rubberband in the release not direct line because the line was weakened at the point of release not because of 8# test

at least you had a screamer on i never had a good hit all weekend

Nice going Dave....but it looks like you have to be a bit faster getting to the rods to beat Sheila to them :lol: