should live bait be allowed in trout Derby's?

If you wanted to make it fair for everybody, it could be a "live bait only" Derby.No trolling. Let me ask you this. If a person fishing for carp with kernels of canned corn, happens to catch a 24lb. lake trout and is registered in the Derby and wins, do you think they should not allow corn to be used as bait?

I can see this question being asked, but the story of this derby when it started way back when was to target the fishing traditions and families that would enter it even if they fished from shore. We sometimes forget that this isn't meant to be a bass masters classic or a triple crown salmon tournament, this was meant to get everyone that has a fishing rod try their luck whether by boat or shore. #1 rule on your registration is to follow DEC rules. I wouldn't want to change that by going to no bait or artificial only. Just my humble opinion. Honestly, thanks for asking the question , it gives us a realty check on why certain things are or shouldn't be.

Well again I must say that this has nothing to do with Barney and bears Derby or Seneca Derby. This was a conversation I had back in April with a few guys. But of coarse people have to make it ugly. Just figured it would be a good topic to discuss. Guess I was incorrect thinking people could voice opinions without throwing stones..

You may want to go back and re-read what your first post said + you posted in the Finger Lakes section !

1st question : 

Fine.

2nd question :

No.

Hey rabbit that's because I live on Cayuga! Where the f else would I post it? Thank you to those of you who just answered and explained why you feel the way you do thank you for your input.

Edited by slow rollin

Slow Rollin, you mentioned use of live bait during a derby. What's the opinion for non derby fishing? Your question I understand, but reading over and over, was the argument with your fellow piers about using live bait in general or just derby fishing. You've stated twice that you have discussed this prior to any Derby's. So we're these discussions originally involving Derby's or just a day on the water in new York. Please clarify.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

"After some heated discussion"

Obvious that you think bait provides an unfair advantage and shouldn't be allowed in the contest.

Why ask the question if you don't want to hear other opinions?

Hey rabbit that's because I live on Cayuga! Where the f else would I post it? Thank you to those of you who just answered and explained why you feel the way you do thank you for your input.

Cayuga section. or 

Open Lake Discussion
Lake Ontario discussion, Pen rearing projects/fish stocking, fishery news, general fishing questions and just about anything else regarding Lake Ontario fishing.