setting the hook

Do you guys set the hook when your riggers go off?  Twice this weekend we had really good takes on the riggers, and they were definitely fish because the rods were throbbing once released but my buddy jumped up both times grabbed the rod and set the hook.  On both occasions I believe he ripped it from the fishes mouth but how is one to be sure?  The reason I think that is because when I was watching him I saw a second rod tip jump when he was setting the hook; the initial bend of the rod when he first set it and then a second as he was lifting the rod upon the initial hook set.  In the past I have typically just reeled down hard and the hook set itself.  After all, the fish had to grab that (in this case) spin-n-glo pretty damn hard to pull it from the release.  For what its worth the trebbles were brand new heavy black nickel owners and were in great condition upon inspection after the misses.  Thoughts???

Thanks,

Jim

Thats what I have done in the past and it has worked.  He mentioned that one of the charters he went out with on Seneca always set the hook and since im new to this whole thing, I was making sure that I was doing it correctly by not setting the hook and just reeling down.

Thanks,

Jim

I tend to not set the hook because the fish ussually set it themselves well enough. Keep in mind that if the hook is already set, trying to set it again may just rip it out of the fishes mouth. If you are trolling really slow (less than 1 mph) there might be some who say to set the hook.

I don't set the hook but get the tip up fast and reel as fast as possible to take out slack. If there is no slack in the line I just lift the tip and reel sometimes I just hold on because they are running drag.

Edited by Chas0218

No need to set the hook if the hooks are sharp. Many times folks don't check them or sharpen them as needed....it makes a huge difference. The slack from the downrigger needs to be taken up quickly especially when fished deep or sliders are attached. From then on steady pressure from reeling them in does the trick if the hooks are sharp. I have long ago replaced nearly all trebles with single stainless xxx Siwash salmon hooks and seldom lose a fish with them. One of the problems with trebles is that in certain places in the mouth the cartilage is very hard and if the fish clamps down on all three hooks deep penetration is not achieved and the third hook on the treble can also be used to work the other two free while a single will usually hook over and behind the cartilage or fully penetrate it. Additionally singles save time getting fish out of the net and releasing them as they don't catch in the net as readily as trebles.

Edited by Sk8man

The key is to keep the amount of rod bend constant.  I've seen guys haul back and double the rod over and then lower the tip so the rod has very little bend in it.  This allows the hook to work itself loose in the fish's mouth.  It's very important especially with the non-stretch lines and heavy mono's.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Gonna disagree with some here... On deep kings, I reel down, get the line tight, and set the hook. They have hard mouths, particularly mid to late summer. Just do it once, then focus on steady pressure on the fish, keeping the rod tip up. Of course sharp hooks and keeping the line tight are both vital. You are not gonna rip the lips off a good King.

I still sharpen brand new hooks. Makes a big difference! Rapala makes one that's course on one side and fine on the other. Each point gets ran over each.

You got it Joe, my pops was a logger for 40+ yrs. Took chain out of package for his saw and grab the file, would say "ain't even close to sharp enough" The saw is supposed to do the work not you.

Kinda same theory with hooks, one many people overlook.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Use good releases and bury the rods super tight so the tips are pointing straight down.... I use scotty power grip releases and set them on the high tension setting, then clip the line to the back of the back of the black line on the release... this will allow you to take up virtually all the slack in your line without popping the release, occasionally smaller fish may not release the line so you may have to give a slight tug on the rod to pop the release but most fish will still pop the release just pay attention to the rod bouncing. Reel fast and hang on tight !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yup many of the biggest spoon manufacturers have the dullest hooks I've ever seen. It's very disappointing. You couldn't pop through your skin with those p.o.s. I switched all my spoons to lazers 934's. Sticky and 3x strong. Spoon prices are completely stupid now even with their s$!t hooks.

I only use SS single siwashes for spoons  and the Mustad long points on them sharpen quickly and easily with a file actually just a couple strokes done triangularly toward the point and they are scarily sharp