WIRE LINE

You'll be getting a lot of "personal preferences" regarding this  issue.  A lot depends on what you will be using the wire on (e..g. twilli or roller tip/guides) and how you will be running it (ie. with what at the end and how deep etc.). The 19 strand wire has finer filaments and is probably more resistant to friction at the tip but it may be harder to detect when it is beginning to fail (fray) and because it is more "rounded" may be less likely to kink. The larger the diameter of the wire the less it cuts through the water well and "blow back" becomes an issue. Normally 7 strand ss wire is commonly used on Lake O with wire diver setups but some folks use the 19 strand and swear by it. Something to be aware of is the fact that the 30 lb stainless 7 strand wire can or will cut through the side plates of cheap (aluminum side plate with ss roller insert) roller tips when the rod is at an improper angle but with a twilli tip it should make no difference. The 19 strand is said to have less wear on the rollers and guides. As far as brand names go you may wish to check for tensile strength of the various brands as they vary considerably according to a chart I saw a while back. One additional thing to consider is the reel you will be using and the space opening at the side of the spool between the side plate. I recently tried using 30 lb ss wire instead of the 60-90 I have used for years on a Penn 309 (Seth Green rig not wire dipsey) and quickly got reminded of why I used the larger diameter in the first place....the 30 lb wrapped around the spindle as it fit through at the side of the spool. It did it repeatedly (so it wasn't a "fluke") and I had to scrap the brand new wire as each time I had to cut it out to free up the reel.

Edited by Sk8man

I'd use bloodrun, torpedo or malin, all good.  I normally use torpedo just because that's what's easy to get in tackle stores around here.

Debate is really 7 strand or 19 strand. I've had 7 strand that's going into my 5th season, so I can't justify the extra cost of going with 19 strand.

This may contain more micromanagement than you wanted but I use 19 strand torpedo wire on my high divers because it is thicker increasing resistance therefore separation from my low divers which has 7 strand wire. I have tried all brands out there and the softest wire I have found is Malin but the differences are minut.

Edited by Gill-T

i keep mine together but if you have to break th rod down you separate the rod and put the tip end against the butt end while keeping tension on the wire.  Secure the rod pieces  with wraps or rubber bands

how do you guy store your rods with out kinking the wire [ I have 10 foot poles i need to take apart ] looks like the line kinks when a fold them together thanks for input.

This year I tried about 10' of 50# mono on the end of the wire. My connection is at the reel. Much easier to work with. I'm really liking it this year.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app