Keeping a crossbow cocked?

An old timer taught me years ago never walk into the woods with the gun unloaded because alot of the time as you walk in you might get a shot at a trophy buck. the same is true with a crossbow because they shoot like a rifle. I unload everything once out if the woods.

An old timer taught me years ago never walk into the woods with the gun unloaded because alot of the time as you walk in you might get a shot at a trophy buck. the same is true with a crossbow because they shoot like a rifle. I unload everything once out if the woods.

Great advice!! Had this happen last Nov.on opening of crossbow in Almond. Biggest buck I have seen in 10 years at 40 yards just too many limbs and saplings in the way . Be really careful walk slowly if you cock it before walking to your stand and of course unload that bolt before you climb up. And always use a hunter safety system climbing line!!! I have them on all my trees now great investment!!

Safety of course is always #1 and should have been taught before u even own a weapon of any kind. After that should not have to be disscussed anymore.Then u hunt safe and do whatever u have to in order to get your harvest. 

cock it prior to entering, place bolt if you plan to still hunt your way to the stand or blind leave safety on of coarse. remove bolt when ascending/ descending the tree. discharge bolt with field tip into target after hunt.