Redeemed

Prof T

Had a boat of three on a perfect night to be out last night. Managed to land just about every fish we had on, had minimal tackle issues, and enjoyed the company of two guys who are both passionate and capable fishermen. Also fished alongside another boat with considerate anglers so we could both be successful.

End result: limit of 9. Floor of my boat never looked so good!

post-156305-0-08521300-1464869816_thumb.jpg

post-156305-0-19089600-1464869867_thumb.jpg

Edited by Prof T

I am busting out the new terrova with ipilot link tonight . Watch out walleye. I have perfect maps from my autochart live I have been working on during the day. See you guys out there

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Roybee

Good luck Roybee. That sounds awesome. Look forward to your reports. Living vicariously through you guys till the weekend arrives.......... Until then enjoying a little lunch[emoji1305][emoji1305]post-155409-14648815708402_thumb.jpg

I've wanted to post this for some time about visibility at night. REMEMBER YOUR LIGHTS. They are there so that you can be seen, not so that you can see. I've swapped out all of mine for 2 mile LED's. I replaced my bow light with port and starboard side mounts a couple feet back because my trolling motor obscured it. Everyone, take a look at yours....you owe it to the rest of us.

My boat is bright, yet there are times when it seems someone has a course set right on you long enough to make you get nervous. Keep a strong light  where you can get at it in a hurry. And don't hesitate to let them know you're there. The river has a big population of pleasure boaters, many of them are out at night, and just like everywhere there are some who just don't think. Also don't expect everyone to adhere to the 15 MPH night speed limit.

I have the luxury of not having to be out on the big weekends. Or, if you're up to it, do it like Kevin.....3 AM!

Don't get me wrong, with the number of hours we spend out in the dark, the number of close calls is minimal. Fortunately, while fishing we're mostly hugging the shoreline. But while running you will be amazed how distorted your depth perception becomes.

Best to stay in the areas you are familiar with.

Sorry for the rant

Those sure are excellent points...... The river is a serious matter at night, even with electronics. The high viz LED nav lights are a super idea. Im going to check those out. My boat has a mid-ship light and stern light as well and to your point at times it doesn't feel adequate. It is easy to get disoriented out there for sure....... Especially on new moon phases when it is so dark.

Luckily on this end of river you would be lucky to see a single boat out st night. Biggest hazard is sailing race buoys with no lights.

I've added side LED spotlights for keeping an eye on planer boards to the top of the Center console which are also handy to use as spot lights.

Certainly want to be cautious out there at night. I fish solo a great deal in the early morning. Very little traffic at that time but still things can happen. Knowledge of the river is vital. Get to know it well in the day and learn a few spots and gradually expand your area. Better know a small area you fish intimately and work it effectively than fish large area without much knowledge. It would be very tough without good electronics.

As always, the exchange of information and shared ideas here is valuable and informative.....Be it fishing, boating, conservation, or other. I just ordered my Atwood 2 mile LED high Viz nav lights..... Prof T and others made some great points regarding navigation at night. The high viz lights seem like a very wise investment. Thanks for the great information.

Just have that lure and my size 14 feet for size reference.The secret is to put in the time and develop your technique. It's not easy for people trying to get started. There is a long learning curve and the river can eat a lot of gear.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

I sure can relate to the long learning curve.... Lol. When I started targeting walleye thought I'd never boat one intentionally. Like you said, practice ( and a fair amount of patience) eventually pays off. I still have much to learn but I think thats what makes this sport so darn addicting. Lots of great advice from LOU has helped a lot too.