Question on stocking "farm ponds" with bait

Hello LOU friends,

Anyone on this forum have any success with stocking their personal ponds with minnows/crawfish to help promote growth of bass/perch in their ponds?

Thanks,

Chris

If you have forage fish in the pond already, help them be successful, if You do not do what Gambler said.  I know in the southern tier they get surplus in the summers and the price is pretty good.  I haven't messed with a pond in over 30 years but yes crayfish and minnows are a great way to supplement feeding.  Some people worry about crayfish undermining the embankment but I would think other critters are a bigger issue for that specific concern.

The reason small fish structure is important is that without it the bass will eat all of the fish in a short period of time and then start starving afterwards.  Dicking around a farm pond was one the most fun things I did growing up.  I learned a lot about balance and nature.

Yeah, fatheads spawn three times a year and will very quickly establish themselves. Throw in a Christmas tree or some pallets to allow them to breed and hide in

According to DEC regulations, you are required to obtain a permit from the DEC to stock any fish or minnow (and probably crayfish, mussels etc) into any body of water in the state, public or private.

Already taken care of. Good for five years.

Thanks,

Chris