Out of the little salmon 6/4

We left the dock at 5.15 AM and went northwest to about 120 feet in front of the plant looking for salmon.

Gone are the big mountains of bait that we saw last week sitting on the bottom. This week there are small and decent sized bait clouds and they are mostly in the 40 to 60 foot range (over anywhere between 120 and 170 foot). We found 47 degree water at 95 foot down. We set up a program with lines anywhere between 30 and 95 foot. First we tried a few FFs but it soon became clear that this was a spoons only bite. We ran dolphins  and an assortment of green and black and silver stingers. We went 15 for 17 kings,but they were all in the 15 to 20 inch range. All the fish looked healthy. We returned all of them.

By the looks of this,last years stocking and/or wild fish has survived well and that is very promising for next fall.

Most of the fish we caught came from between 40 and 60 feet down. Another interesting thing is the very long and wide scum line. We saw some steelhead on the surface eating bugs.

Rolmops.

Sounds like a great day. Thanks for sharing the report.

I was planning on launching out of Mexico point but decided the night before to launch out of Henderson Harbor.. Didn't do much there.. Should have made the drive down to Mexico point.. I will be there next weekend...

A couple of years ago I started running 6" Tomic spoons to reduce shaker catch and injury. To date I have not caught any shakers on them although I did take a 18" coho this spring on one shop.tomiclure.com

Edited by Gill-T

A couple of years ago I started running 6" Tomic spoons to reduce shaker catch and injury. To date I have not caught any shakers on them although I did take a 18" coho this spring on one shop.tomiclure.com

We changed out setup to magnums with the larger hooks and some single hooks and in addition we also put all the clips and blacks to the lightest possible setting. This helped to the point where we were not dragging any hitch hikers. Then we also varied our speed to anywhere between 1.9 ( at one point) and 3.2 but that did not help ,they kept hitting. we lowered our lines to 105 feet down and even there they were bugging us.

The one saving grace in this whole deal was that we did not drag them along any length of time and they all swam off after being released.

I like to think that these fish will be very wary of any lures for a long time to come and they will probably make it back up to Altmar next year.

Sounds like a great day. Thanks for sharing the report.

I was planning on launching out of Mexico point but decided the night before to launch out of Henderson Harbor.. Didn't do much there.. Should have made the drive down to Mexico point.. I will be there next weekend...

It was a great day weather-wise,but catching dinks is not so great. It is almost like beating up on babies and the only challenge is to release them with as little harm done as possible

It was a great day weather-wise,but catching dinks is not so great. It is almost like beating up on babies and the only challenge is to release them with as little harm done as possible

I didn't make it out this weekend. We planned on launching out of Henderson Harbor and trying the shipping lanes but it didn't happen due to wind and swell size.... Hopefully we will make it out there next weekend... Thanks!