Best knot to use on leaders?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spro power swivel #8 or 10 with original clinch knots wet and carefully cinched down tight (7 turns)  except with braid where a uni or blood knot can be used but with most knots using braid you want to do more wraps of the line at the braid end as it is pretty slippery (e.g. 10 or 12 instead of  5 or 6)

Edited by Sk8man

Spro power swivel #8 or 10 with original clinch knots wet and carefully cinched down tight (7 turns)  except with braid where a uni or blood knot can be used but with most knots using braid you want to do more wraps of the line at the braid end as it is pretty slippery (e.g. 10 or 12 instead of  5 or 6)[/quot

x2 I use the 10's for eyes rated to 30#'s and the 8' are rated at 50#'s, so if you tie direct to your Arsenal no line twist.

Just curious as to what techniques you want lighter line with. Most of my walleye trolling has either weight or some sort of diver where a leader would go after the weight. Exceptions would be cranks or possible riggers, I rarely run riggers on Erie. I do run a lot of cranks and would have no problem running them on 20 lb leaders, might lose a little depth with the bigger line but unless your planning on super long wind on leaders your not going to get that back.

So what techniques are you wanting lighter leaders for, out of curiosity.

An example for me at least of going to lighter lines would be for Spring browns  sometimes down to 8 lb. or 10lb. test from the 30 lb SeaFlee and for regular stuff on the Finger Lakes 12 lb instead of the 20 lb used on Lake O. I keep the SeaFlee 30 lb on most of my rigger rods all year long and just leader down but I keep a few with straight 12 lb mono and 10 lb fluoro leader just for the Fingers prior to flea onset too.

I run 10' of 15# leaders and 30# PP main line. I find the fleas stay off the line better with the 30# PP than lighter line. I always just tie uni to uni and add a couple extra twists on the braid (8/10 twists). Biggest thing with light braid is to tie the leader on first and with the leader into the knot then tie the braid and do the same and pull together the whole tine with lots of spit. I have only had one break at the knot only because I was rushing and forgot to check it. Usually I just grab both lines and pull as hard as I can before the braid starts to cut me. I imagine it's close to breaking strength.

Sent from my thinking chair...