Mining lake trout with copper wire - spin glow

Per the blood run pro tips, how much leader to the spin & glow from copper?

Just use your regular copper setup.   But instead of snapping on a spoon, or a plug, or a flasher....just snap on your already pre tied spin n glow setup and send it out.    We usually tie our spin n glo's with 18-24" leaders that we run behind tin can's.   It doesn't matter when you are mining, there is no flasher.

Will give it a try bloodrun!  I have tried out the spin glo's on my home waters with riggers and have had limited success, but have had great success with the 32 pound super copper 50' of fluorocarbon 30 lb leader and a 5' section of smaller fluorocarbon to a spoon.    I do jig the rod every so often to entice followers and it produces.  I grew up jerking copper and your wire blows away the 45 pound copper I used to use :)

Thanks Hairbone!  You can go either way with the mining thing, usually just the spin n glow on the end of the copper leader is the ticket.   Often times we run a chrome spin doctor with a spin n glow off the mining setup and it works as well.  Sometimes no flasher is best, some times the chrome spin doctor works better.    Depends on the current.

Good luck

I would go a little longer on the spin n glow lead.  I run mine 24' - 28'.  There are days when the lakers are hardware shy.  Some days they do not want to come into a flasher / dodger or cowbells. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did try mining this past weekend on my 300 32lb blood run. End up adding a torpedo weight pulling a spoon and ended up getting a few in the 80-90 foot range.

Last year I ran 540' of 45 lb copper that I used years ago for jerking copper with gteat success.. I want to know where I can buy the 60 lb copper in 450' and what reel I would use. I see the dive chart listed under blood run, but not for sale. I am primarily looking for a july, August, September setup on my home waters targeting 100-130 range.

Did try mining this past weekend on my 300 32lb blood run. End up adding a torpedo weight pulling a spoon and ended up getting a few in the 80-90 foot range.

Last year I ran 540' of 45 lb copper that I used years ago for jerking copper with gteat success.. I want to know where I can buy the 60 lb copper in 450' and what reel I would use. I see the dive chart listed under blood run, but not for sale. I am primarily looking for a july, August, September setup on my home waters targeting 100-130 range.

Franks Great Outdoors does have some 60lb copper in stock http://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/fishing/fishing-line/copper/blood-run-tackle-copper-trolling-wire.html

Thanks Bloodrun,    Just happen to be in Pulaski NY and All Seasons Sports had a bulk spool of 60 lb bloodrun.  Spooled 450'  of 30 lb power pro and 300' of 60 lb bloodrun on a Seagate 60.  It is a tight fit.  Most likely take off some baking as this is strictly a LT setup and don't need a ton of backing.  Will report how I do

Edited by hairbone

• 3 weeks later...

Tried out 300 of 60 pound and am definitely getting good bottom contact. Was running a bead chain at 5' in front of spin n glo and it was picking up debris. Started running the spin n glo set up direct on my 40' leader and it is working better. I put the 60 pound on a spare reel for safe keeping and opted to put 400' of 45 lb on for my next. Did have an interting thing happy. My other copper rod snagged my mining Rod and I ended up holding the spin n glo in my hand and having 300' out in a big u. I said what the heck and tossed the spin n gl I and when it got 50' fronm the boat down she went and 10 seconds latter źzzzzzz... laker on. Figured I would end up with a mess of line.

Tried out 300 of 60 pound and am definitely getting good bottom contact. Was running a bead chain at 5' in front of spin n glo and it was picking up debris. Started running the spin n glo set up direct on my 40' leader and it is working better. I put the 60 pound on a spare reel for safe keeping and opted to put 400' of 45 lb on for my next. Did have an interting thing happy. My other copper rod snagged my mining Rod and I ended up holding the spin n glo in my hand and having 300' out in a big u. I said what the heck and tossed the spin n gl I and when it got 50' fronm the boat down she went and 10 seconds latter źzzzzzz... laker on. Figured I would end up with a mess of line.

Nice!   Yes our 450's and 500's are very steady right now mining.   We have been picking up more coho and steelhead right off the bottom on spin n glo's now also.   No bead chain for sure, just direct spin n glo on your copper leader.  60lb never seemed to work good for mining, too steep of dive curve.   32lb and 45lb works better.