6-5-16 jumbo gills

longspurs

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I have never fished the finger lakes... (Just got a small boat last year) and I spend most of my time in Lake Ontario chasing chrome. My kids 10, 8, 6, get board with it. So we have been trying fish for bass and pan fish. We went up to the islands last week and did really well and they LOVED IT! I saw this post, and was thinking of trying to head down to honeoye tomorrow morning for a few hours . Any pointers you'd be willing to share would be greatly appreciated! We are planning on launching at the state launch. And that's about it. Lol.

Thanks for any advise!

Ben

Probably with kids the best bet is  with bobbers as described above so they can easily see the activity on it. The gills are usually in close as noted by longspurs but I was there last week fishing for walleyes and saw some folks catching gills one right after another about a mile north of the launch in 26 ft of water with bottom rigs so you may have to look around a bit too. Worms can also work with a variety  of panfish there either fished a foot or so off bottom  with a sinker at the bottom or using the bobber rigs. Sometimes casting in toward docks along the way can work too either drifting  to find them or anchoring up and trying to attract them in casting around the boat.  If using worms use small pieces if nightcrawlers are used . They are especially fond of the little red (manure worms) worms. You may encounter a couple of pest species as well such as rock bass, largemouth bass and dink perch along the way too such as largemouth bass but kids usually are happy to catch about anything anyway. There are huge gills and Crappies in there if you can locate them. Good luck. It can help to use light lines  and with kids I'd be going with 6 lb test or so 4-8 size hooks. If using sinkers about 1/4-5/8th oz.

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...