Jigging Lakers?

Im looking for some info on tackle and techniques to jig up some lake trout on the finger lakes.  What are you guys using for lures?  What kind of line...braid?  Do you need a line counter reel to jig?  Any help would be appreciated!

There are many instructional posts on this forum in previous threads, you should be able to find them by searching jigging. Here is one I made the other day for reference. You don't need a line counter reel to jig but you do need a decent fish finder and a baitcaster (IMO).

I use a Field and Stream Tech Spec with 15lb PowerPro braid (diameter of 4lb mono) tied directly to a 10lb Visaline fluorocarbon leader (8-10ft) I also use white 1oz jig heads from Hermit with a white body most the time, you can buy (the best) jig heads heads from the site below. They have very sharp hooks and are top quality, better than anything I have ever been able to find in a store. You can also buy flukes also at the link below. I use some flukes from the site below and/or zoom flukes, white is always a good color but I have had success with others as well. Green/chartreuse jig heads are also good at times.

Jig heads and flukes

http://deepwater.cayugafisher.net/index.php

Here are is a good resource for setting up your gear, I'm basically setup like this -

http://cayugafisher.net/pages/resdex.php

-Pete

Edited by PCPete

Would second everything PCpete said except I like spinning rods. Also I get most of my lakers on the retrieve coming up from near the bottom. I also definitely use Hermit's super sharp jigs. Paddle tails threaded on the jigs are also good laker lures.

Hey guys thanks for the kind thoughts and words, it's good to hear people are still finding that useful and I'm very humbled by it. It's one thought process and approach among many.

catmandu if you're looking at my site, There is a slight possibility that I'm actually out of one color of the plastics that the site says I have and I need to figure that out. I had an inventory issue I haven't checked yet and I will be doing that in the next few days. If you email I can check anything. There are of course many places to buy both the plastics and jig heads. I know not painting the heads is a deal breaker for some but I can't do that anymore without actual shop space.

My personal favorites are the shakers- a good length and I really like the paddle tails. Other brands work great too. I usually fish the fluke style in deep water only because it drops faster but that's just me. Anyway I hope you find the tutorial useful and have fun out there!

As far as colors, I like white, crystal ice, limetruese, and seafoam shad, and the glow/chartreuse tail, not necessarily in that order. Occasionally something like purple or dark green.

Edited by hermit

I have also used white Zoom Super Flukes on Hermit's jig heads with a lot of success. 1oz would be the minimum jig head I would use. I mostly 1 1/2 oz jig heads. Kalins also makes a good bullet style jig head that worked well. It is all about the retrieve, sometime fast or slow. You won't see the ones on the bottom until they chase your jig head.

Don't be shy about fishing different depths, too. Last weekend we caught Keuka lakers in 25' on 1/2 oz heads and twister tails. It's a far cry from fishing 150' depths. The deepest we fished was ~50'. That's probably changed in a week, but you might be surprised. 

It's great to hear from people who use and enjoy the jigs so thanks guys! I'm really hoping to put some real time into growing things later this year but I've also thought that for the last few years; hopefully things are in place this time. Time will tell.

But a quick update- the soft plastics inventory is now up to date and I have an order to fill the missing (and most popular) items, so within a week or so everything should be back.

Edited by hermit