Other Lake George (sorry if outside LOU Area)

I did a quick search for info on Lake George on LOU and it seems a few guys on here have had good results. George is the closest lake to me where there is a deep enough launch for me to target Lakers and Landlocks. The fingers are another 1.5 hour drive. So with that said, a few buddies and myself are headed up to LG this weekend, staying at Roger's Rock on the North End near Hague. 

Any fisherman on here willing to share some tried and true methods for getting into Lakers and Salmon on George? I am not looking for your specific spot, rather just a few tips on speed, lure selection, rigging that have worked for guys in the past.

On a previous trip to LG we were successful off Diamond Point (south basin) bottom bouncing flatfish (U20 size) behind vertical attractors-hammerhead in blue/silver and Chartreuse. Our speed was very slow 1.0-1.8mph sog (no fishhawk).

We will have leadline, dipsys and riggers to run in the mix.

If this post falls too far from the LOU area, please feel free to delete.

Bobby - Bobbyn' Along

It's been a few years but I stayed at Rogers Rock , lost three cannon balls in different spots on the lake.

Straight across lake from launch deep shelf then going south a bay on the left they some time get landlocks along that shore . This area across from launch going south about 2 miles  is like a basin with water near 170 to 200 feet deep I caught a few lakers there...... some times running north south but just below the first cut going toward the Hage side try some east west troll........

dodger/Chartreuse peanut/dark green

Caleas makes a smelt fly that work good also off a dodger

large rapalas orange  

speed was from .8 to 2.2

If you have a fishhawk don't run it deep unless you have a spare.... 

ERABBIT - Thanks for the info! I lost a cannonball there too last year down by diamond point. No fun but at least I didn't have a probe on it. Just cable, the ball, releases and a vertical spinner all sit at the bottom. I can only imagine how much rigger tackle is at the bottom of that lake. 

Never had much luck on Rapala there. Which rapalas are you talking about in particular? Something like the original floater in F-13/F-18 size (4 3/8" and 7")? or the jointed floaters in J11/13? Someone else suggested rapalas with orange bellys. I'll give that a shot.

One more question for you, on the dodger fly setup, what size dodger and did color seem to matter. 

Thanks a lot for your response.

Happy fishing.

I think it was a F13 orange top white belly......

full size dodger 8"  ,  didn't have a TON like I do now but I don't see why a sliver/glow with a blue colored fly would not work good in sunny weather......

HERE IS A PICTURE OF THAT DODGER/PEANUT I added the green scallop tape along the side on both sides , peanut has a green front

post-139487-0-45890400-1465319247_thumb.jpg

Bob-

I am a capital region transplant from the FLs (hence I follow these threads) and likely live just north of you. For the last 2 years I have fished mainly schroon but have gotten out on George. Ive made it my goal to fish it hard this fall once tourist traffic dies down.

This spring I launched at MDB and headed north, trolled the entrance to northwest bay and the east side of the lake up there. Noted a few boats, of which one appeared to be a charter, almost glued to that side of the lake in the deep water.

As for lures, I trolled all spoons. Sutton 61 hammered in silver/brass and other small spoons in white or wonder bread took lakers. If you ever want to get out feel free to drop me a line, I'm still learning the area and always looking to meet or swap experiences with other fishermen.

This is the smelt fly way wrong on the name the slim profile worked best on George....

Grand Slam Bucktails
Designed to be trolled behind a flasher or dodger, Grand Slam Bucktails have proven to be deadly for salmon and lake trout from Alaska to California to the Great Lakes. The durable epoxy head has an iridescent, mother of pearl finish and will stand up to lots of abuse from angry fish. The bodies are made of FisHair and Crystal Flash to match the sheen of the head. Tied on .080" tubing. Choose between the larger profiled Herring or the Slimmer Needlefish. All patterns glow in the dark.

now is a good time to troll the flats north of Long island. Start in about 90 ft of water just north of the island. head north, bounce bottom. the bottom is sandy and will gradually get deeper.

its been a good spot for me in tears past this time of year, and easy to fish without and dramatic depth changes that LG is famous for.

This very closely matches the advice I've been given about Lake George as well.  The flats is supposed to be the safest place to bump bottom with the rigger balls.  I was also told to run mooselook wobblers in red or orange about 100' back from the ball.  

Haven't had a chance to try it yet but I'll be heading there in a few weeks and staying in Ticonderoga.  

now is a good time to troll the flats north of Long island. Start in about 90 ft of water just north of the island. head north, bounce bottom. the bottom is sandy and will gradually get deeper.

its been a good spot for me in tears past this time of year, and easy to fish without and dramatic depth changes that LG is famous for.

Not to hijack but I like the flasher fly suggestion, to be honest I have likely underutilized them everywhere else but when I fished lake O. I checked out those grand slams, I like how they make a mini 3" version. Might have to put in an order.

Regarding Mooselook wobblers, good for top twenty feet of water in those colors. Remember red and orange are the first to lose their color in the color spectrum.

I would use cowbells followed by a small evil eye in chartreuse or white of green. Or a popular lure behind cow bells or clean is a small Fireplug. Spin n glows as well. I used to pull a OO dodger (trash can or green) with a short leader ( 12-14 in.) to a small fly.

Worked well. 10 ft behind the ball.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

HI Guys, 

Thanks for all the suggestions! We had a fun, successful trip to LG. The weather was not too nice, but made for okay fishing. We ended up with about 16 lakers from 19-26" and a heck of a landlocked that was 25" or so. Didn't measure or weight him because we wanted to get him right back in the water. 

Here is my report:

On Saturday we fished the flats in the South Basin started just north of Long Island near Pilot Knob. We started early in 70 fow, marked fish on the bottom, trolled north staying between 70 and 90 fow. The program that worked there was a green set of hammerhead 4/0 cowbells trolled 30 feet behind the ball with a white flatfish 2' behind the bells. We picked up 4 lakers on that rig. We also did okay on a white/green evil eye trolled 30' behind a set of blue/silver 4/0 vertical hamerheads on the rigger. 

The water got a little nasty around Pilot knob and the fishing slowed so we picked up and made the run back up toward Hague around 11:30. Back up in Hague, we fished the west shore just south of Roger's Rock with a faster laker program and a few spoons up in 25-40 feet down. We nailed a great ~25" salmon on a evil eye (Painted it up on Thrusday before we left, Bright Orange with Black Dots). We caught a few more lakers near hague on a Fat Nancy color Micighan Stinger trolled 30' behind a Laker Killer color vertical hammerhead in 4/0 size. On saturday all the lakers came 60' down to 90' down. 

Sunday was a little slower, fishing wise. We fished the North basin, the area below Roger's Rock in 60-90 fow. We were successful fishing a set of hammerheads in-line in 3/0 size on 6 and 7 colors of lead. We caught a nice 6 pound laker on a Rapala F-13 Bleeding Shad behind the bells on 6 color core and also one on a blue/silver hammered Michigan Stinger behind the same size bells 7 colors. We lost a few salmon on a core setup with a small (2.5 inch spoon - not sure of the manufacturer - need to post it in the tackle section to find out who makes the spoon becuase I need more!). A few other lakers came at 35-50 feet down on clean spoons run 40' back on the riggers - blue silver northport nailers in 3.5" size. 

The bite slowed by 11:30 and my crew had chores to attend to at home, so I brought them back to the dock at rogers and headed back out solo. I didn't travel 3 hours to leave at noon on sunday ;). The wind picked up that afternoon and was blowing hard at Anthony's Nose so I ran two leadcore rods and made continued passes across the nose with 3 and 4 colors out bringing the lines real close to the rock outcrop on each pass. I hooked up mulitple times there but couldn't actually get them to the boat with the 30 or 40 mph winds blowing me into the rocks. It was still fun though!

I want to take a second and thank you guys for sharing your successful programs on LG. I hope my report can serve to help the next rookie figure out the lake a little quicker. We really like staying at the NYSDEC campground at Roger's Rock. For 22 dollars a night you can camp and launch. I wish there were a few camps like that along Champlain. My plan for the rest of the summer is to fish the Finger Lakes (Cayuga and Owasco) then head north to Champlain in late July/August.

IMG_20160611_070536889_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160611_164157580_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160611_182443127_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160611_165928815_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160611_182448732_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160608_183923565.jpg

• 1 year later...

Just re-visited this old thread to re-introduce myself to LG fishing since we are planning a trip there this weekend. Got loads of new tackle to throw in the water including gambler rigs and some jigs that have been proven on LG. Anyone else headed to George this weekend or been there recently? Thanks!!

Been doing pretty well this spring/early summer with lots of keeper class fish and up. Following the charter guys online, they seem to report the same.

Our biggest so far was a respectable 6.5lbs which came on 10 color core. Last time I was on LG was 2 weeks ago, fish seemed to be suspending more. Salmon have eluded me. Left Lg alone last week due to americade and hit champ. Got some real nice fish. Flutter spoons and honeybees have been tops with some stick baits thrown in off boards.

Good luck and report back what you find. With the nice weather Im sure the crowds are arriving [emoji20]. I was surprised to see the parasailing had started mid May!!