Inline boards

I have been running walleye boards and off shore's for a couple years and with modifications they work ok for 250-400 copper. I want to get 4 new boards and want to know if you guys recommend the tx-44's or the new offshore sst pro mags? I know the pro mags are new but someone had to have used both. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I have the OFFSHORE SST and i love them. Buckmaster do you like the walleye boards or the offshore 12s better?

I like them both for different reasons. Less than 5 color core and 150 coppers I love the sst's as long as it calm. The rougher it is the more I like the walleye boards. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. In the right conditions the sst's track awesome but the walleye boards are more consistent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've run the TX 44's for several years and they work fine. Learn to Fight the fish and not the board and you'll like them.

How to you prevent the board flipping near the boat? I have a lot of trouble with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Point the rod tip at the board all the way in until it's about a foot from the rod tip.

Yes! Not necessarily a "foot" from the rod tip but close enough that you can lift the board clear of the water with one sweep of the rod.

Fighting a board and fish with the rod tip high causes almost ALL of the inline problems we hear about. Lower the rod tip until you can cleanly lift the board completely from the water and you'll have no problems.

Tried the 44 this weekend. Pulled 177 ft of braid with the bigger dipsy not mag with the ring. Put it out 40yds and it stayed at 2 o'clock behind the boat except once it pulled back toward boat think I had a fish on but was netting a fish and it went back to 2 o'clock after.

Big copper I prefer big boards, not inlines, more "fish on" time

Do you only run one a side?

When I'm only running 1 a side I run my otter boats but don't want to bring stuff in to set back up. With my new sst pro mags I have no problem getting my 200 out around my 3 and 400.

.....the question is what do you so when an angry west side of Lake Michigan king spools you on a board on a 4 or 5 color and you cant even crank with pumping the rod.  Happened a few times last week during the tournament and there is no bringing that board back without pumping no matter how hard you crank the drag.  We had to thumb a few reels even to gain on fish with a board and thats with throttling down and throwing 2 bags out.

.....the question is what do you so when an angry west side of Lake Michigan king spools you on a board on a 4 or 5 color and you cant even crank with pumping the rod. Happened a few times last week during the tournament and there is no bringing that board back without pumping no matter how hard you crank the drag. We had to thumb a few reels even to gain on fish with a board and thats with throttling down and throwing 2 bags out.

Neutral and turning. It can cause a mess but it makes it a lot easier to bring in a board and your copper will drop out of the way usually.