Lake O lake trout table quality?

a friend of a friend ask me to save a couple for his smoker.

after a couple weeks , I got back a couple chunks to try.  Really awful.

I do sometimes fish with a guy who will eat anything we catch, so I dont have to release bleeders and floaters :)

here he is with one from last year, he love them:

17411331396_037b4e5282_b.jpg

but really, you guys eat browns? I dont think theyd be any better?

Edited by gordymohr

Some of you guys are seriously funny.  Do you all hang in the same  bar?  I am not much for drinking, but a few rounds would be a small price for the humor.

Not sure how NY sees feeding seagulls, but... Isle Royale National Park sometimes wants one to feed the gulls and sometimes sink the offal to feed the fish.  On gull years remove the belly meat and spiral cut it.  Wait till you have 20 or more gulls squawking and fling that 3 foot long piece of belly between a few.  I enjoy watching them french kiss and then somehow one will fly off with the other in pursuit.  Not sure how but the front gull got it all.

a friend of a friend ask me to save a couple for his smoker.

after a couple weeks , I got back a couple chunks to try. Really awful.

I do sometimes fish with a guy who will eat anything we catch, so I dont have to release bleeders and floaters :)

here he is with one from last year, he love them:

17411331396_037b4e5282_b.jpg

but really, you guys eat browns? I dont think theyd be any better?

You couldn't be more wrong. Browns are delicious.

Adk1, on 09 Jun 2016 - 10:10 PM, said:

I was told to fillet then cut into smaller strips.then poach them is salt water ( enough salt to float an egg ) rinse and serve with melted butter

That recipe I call "Lobsta Trout".........close you eyes and think lobsta :lol:

from some research Ive done its seems that (depending which document Ive seen) theres at least 3 and maybe even as many as 8 different strains of lake trout being stocked into lake Ontario.

I wonder if theres any taste difference between the strains. That might be a reason some people claim to like the taste and others say its bad?

from some research Ive done its seems that (depending which document Ive seen) theres at least 3 and maybe even as many as 8 different strains of lake trout being stocked into lake Ontario.

I wonder if theres any taste difference between the strains. That might be a reason some people claim to like the taste and others say its bad?

Is there a way to tell the difference in the strain of fish?

We used to find them (Lakers) placed along the Falls walk in Buffalo, presumably for the local bums and homeless people to take up and eat. No kidding!

On Superior (Lake), I used to walk along the boat ramps to see what the locals were bringing in, and in mostly what I saw were small (14-16" lakers, banker trout,) being kept

to eat. These, I believe were a different species than the common lakers we all catch.

Our local Arby's restauranteur was given a large Laker to cook and it stunk so bad, he threw it out.

Cheers, Docwet

Edited by DocWet

Roll them in tin foil with some fresh chopped garlic, lemon pepper and butter. Toss them on the grill for 15 minutes, delicious. Better tasting than the Kings, and as good as the browns out of Lake O.

Finally a comment from someone that eats fish. Lake trout are fantastic fish to eat. I dip them in butter and grill with Cajon seasoning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I like to gut them then, put them on ice, give them away and pan fry some perch.  To each their own.  I'd rather fillet 4 dozen 7 inch blue gills than 1 nice eatin size laker.  I'd rather drive 7 hrs to western Ohio to get walleyes than less then an hour to a fingerlake to get lake trout.  I'd rather eat Mcdonalds - :puke: and I hate MckeeDees...

I am not puttin anyone down - My Mom likes them (makes chowder).  I know several people at work that like them.  This thread seems to be trying to convince oneself of its pallatability.  I don't hear many people asking how to make perch taste good.  If you happen to be one those that likes them - good for you.  Catch em up.

I didn't salivate when I read these recipes posted on this thread...

I did, however, salivate, drool, etc.. when I read this post...

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/58827-take-that-scallops/

Good fishing people - like I said, to each their own...  Catch em up good...

Hahaha- point taken. I think they are pretty damn tasty. Smoked they are awesome. Again smaller ones are better. To your point BS Master there are better eating fish out there......but variety is the spice of life[emoji12]. I enjoy a Nice LT on occasion.