Lake O lake trout table quality?

I had one of my dogs dig up some rotten fish out of the garden last fall/winter.............. WHHHHOOOOOO did that dog STINK! I was gonna kill him, but couldn't stand the smell to get close enough to do it..... I don't know what would possess a dog to try to eat something like that...... must be a hound thing.   

Most of the people that don't like them probably have even tried it. They just like to jump on the wagon and say they're no good. If you get a perch with silver skin left on the fillet it taste like nasty fish. So if someone ate perch for the first time and had that they would say its no good. 

I eat smoked laker from Keuka all the time and it's delicious. I tried to smoke one from Ontario and....well, delicious isn't a word that comes to mind. I'm not sure if it's the diet, the size, or what, but I couldn't generate much enthusiasm after that. Truth be told though, I haven't tried everything. For example, bacon. I'm not sure that there's anything wrapped in bacon that's less than incredible. Just sayin'

I had one of my dogs dig up some rotten fish out of the garden last fall/winter.............. WHHHHOOOOOO did that dog STINK! I was gonna kill him, but couldn't stand the smell to get close enough to do it..... I don't know what would possess a dog to try to eat something like that...... must be a hound thing.

My Weim and German short hair are notorious at finding the stinkiest old fish at the boat launch and rolling in it for the ride home.

On a side note my buddy soaked a laker fillet no skin in a milk salt brine overnight then grilled it on one of those basket things and said it was better than perch. He perch and walleye fishes and is a decent cook so he knows how to cook fish. Wish I would have had some to try.

All I can say is we have some lousy chefs on this site. Lake trout are just as good as any other salmonid when properly prepared.

Give me your address and I will keep you in oil cans for life  lol

This is a great thread...  There can be no wrong answer - total personal opinion based answers...

(Anybody?)  Remember when they use to throw out spare ribs and chicken wings.  Now the ribs cost more per lb than the boneless loin and the chicken wingettes more per lb than the boneless skinless breasts.  Proof that you can make garbage taste good enough to be profitable.

It has happened before with fish.  Chilean sea bass (not a real bass of any kind - Pantagonian tooth fish) use to be a nuisance fish.  Change the name, get some chefs to promote it and boom.  It went from nuisance garbage fish to $25/lb to endangered.

They have people (Yups) who drink coffee (Kopi Luwak) which consists of deficated coffee beans of some sort.  They have people (Yups) who eat cheese where they purposefully put maggots in it (Casu Marzu).  There are many people (Non Yups) that eat rodents of all sorts (a squirrel is a rodent).  Think about the ethnic group of people that snag a salmon out of the stream and proceed to take out some crackers and squirt some fresh roe on them and then endulge.

I haven't had the opportunity to eat all of the salmonids but of the ones I have had, I place lakers as the worst and atlantics as the best.  We all have different tastes and some of us eat things that make others of us cringe.  I love turtle and I bet some of you can not fathom the idea of ever even trying it. 

I guess my point is that lake trout is edible - but preferred?  Not in my house.  As far as being a lousy chef - I do know how to make the stink go away but I am not naive.  I could always learn more, however,  I buy the premade pie crust and I prefer to cook a fish that already tastes good (without precautions).  I don't prefer shrimp either but I will eat crab and lobster all day.

AND...  There is always someone who will want a lake trout.  I never had to throw one in the garden. 

Catch em up!

If you read the NYSDEC health advisories you shouldn't be feeding any fish out of lake Ontario to your family....of course someone will say I eat them and I'm fine...but I'm not interested...

The restrictions were just loosened this year.  The NYS health department ran a study and found the contamination levels have come down significantly.  I was one that gave blood and urine samples for the study.  I eat a lot of salmon, pike, steelhead and perch from Lake Ontario and my levels were VERY low. 

NYS is simply protecting its arse. If you read in the general fishing regulations, it has a statement for all waters of NYS from our purest Adirondack brook trout water to the NYS harbour. Particularly when dealing with pregnant women.

Gotta be better than eating van dekamps fillet of sole from Korea. What's in their water?...comes to a packing plant in korea, goes in a box, flash frozen, goes in a warehouse into a container across the oceans onto a dock, into a truck, in and out of refrigerating systems, that might not be working all the time. Sits in the store for you to buy...fresh seafood!

Wrap the bite size pieces of laker in bacon smear with butter garlic baste on a shish kabob stick over apple or cherry wood grill....mmm good...of course bacon makes everthing good! Even mercury! What the heck...you will eat mercury anyway! From any where! Oceans are not immune to it!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The restrictions were just loosened this year.  The NYS health department ran a study and found the contamination levels have come down significantly.  I was one that gave blood and urine samples for the study.  I eat a lot of salmon, pike, steelhead and perch from Lake Ontario and my levels were VERY low. 

Now the health dept. is trying to determine where the 6th finger came from .