Lake O lake trout table quality?

I'm so surprised that no one likes them. I find Lake Trout very good table fare and great for the grill as they do not dry out and are very high in Omega oils. They are good raw, though the Laker I caught this spring seemed a little more firm than the fall Lakers I'm used to. I say eat um!

I believe the fish we buy at the store has no USDA inspection. I believe farm raised seafood basically is raised in a toilet. If you can catch it clean it , swallow and enjoy it, have at it.

https://www.verywell.com/choose-the-healthiest-fish-2223815

Intresting read. You will find that they talk about species of fish, and which are the least mercury laden, moderate and heavier. Salmon and trout listed as one of the least!..along with many others and the worst is bluefish, swordfishes, etc....those are ocean fish! Big predator fish! Of course they are talking in general terms of geography, since no one body of water or aqua feature was singled out!...

Yes, if the fish looks healthy, you opened it up, and cared for it, then you know it's not from some weird place on earth, not handled poorly, etc. It's in all fish everywhere. It's in the fallout of the atmosphere. The cows eat and drink the same water runoffs. They get injected with stuff and we injest it, worse maybe.

Largely, I think most of us would ignore reasons to disdain eating a lake trout for the possibility of poisoning ourselves, if the lake trout from Ontario tasted better!

Bacon!..Butter!...it's not really good for you, but it makes Ontario lakers more palatable. Just like shrimp...wait![emoji19] ..that has cholesterol!...it's all evil![emoji84] [emoji102]

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You don't get away from the mercury by trimming away the belly and lateral lines. The other contaminants yes..... the mercury, no.

According to the lady from the NYS health department, Mercury levels in the great lakes fish have declined big time and are not really the issue.  The reason they grind the entire fish and test it that way is because some people use the entire fish (fishhead soup and fish broth).

I use a cedar plank to grill the oil cans . Then I throw the fish away and eat the plank . When all there is left to catch on Lake O ,is LT . I'm hanging up my fishing equipment . 

Ditto on the cedar plank.

• 1 month later...

I love to eat fish and having stronger flavour is not a downside with me. Just came back from a trip where we kept a small laker and a big one (couldn't revive). The small one was grilled with a rub and was amazing. The large one was pressure canned. If you eat tuna or salmon canned you should can your own lake trout instead. It is essentially the same texture but better flavour in my opinion. Was my first time canning it and my wife and I are both sold. An amazing example of turning non sustainable and questionable fishing (canned tuna) into a local and sustainable harvest. A bit more work but many reasons to like it. For those that don't can - think about it. A pressure canner is the highest value add tool to your kitchen and allows free long term storage of local harvests. No refrigeration and stays good for at least a year. Pike is also good I hear and you don't need to remove Y bones when pressure canning. They will dissolve with the canning process.

Unfortunately this one just under 30lbs did not make it after a good battle. 30min of reviving with no luck. It made it to a can and was delicious. 6ce31d8a292342bfbd90dddcf3607947_thumb.j

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by Consigliere

The restrictions were just loosened this year. The NYS health department ran a study and found the contamination levels have come down significantly. I was one that gave blood and urine samples for the study. I eat a lot of salmon, pike, steelhead and perch from Lake Ontario and my levels were VERY low.

If you read the NYSDEC health advisories you shouldn't be feeding any fish out of lake Ontario to your family....of course someone will say I eat them and I'm fine...but I'm not interested...

On this bud light bottle it says that it's possible that consuming two or more could cause health problems. Give away the lakers to friends and save the walleye for family and friends whom are less annoying and don't borrow things. If it don't taste good on the grill with a little butter and salt and pepper throw it in the garden.