Experienced mechanics who can work on advance timing issue/points distributor

Gill-T

Having trouble finding anyone willing to work on an OMC points distributor, problem solving an apparent advance timing issue that causes my engine to shut down when I approach 3000 rpm. They need to be able to work on the boat on the water under load. Thanks gentlemen.

I'd say the mechanical advance isn't working, take the cap off and spray a good penetrating fluid under the points plate. Or time the engine at 650/700rpm that keeps the advance out of the pic. The rev up the motor it should show an advance if not the maybe the abvance dogs are fprusred or the springs are weak. Try that first before you take it to thr dealer. They just want to line their pants pockets

Edited by pap

Could be your timing advance but if advance was not working I dont think it would shut you down but would make it verrry boggy. For sure spray some lube/penetrating stuff to make sure the weights move freely and springs are doing there job. Timing light will tell you if they are working.When you throttle back it comes back to life? Make sure you have new points and condenser and cap. They do not like running with old or iffy components. My old omc cobra 5.0ltr was very picky about that. I would barely get a full season out of a set. But I did put a lot of hours on it though. I have also had a new condenser that would cause issues/stumbling/shutting down. Replaced with old condenser and problem solved.

Also have a good look at your fuel system. Pick up screen in tank not plugged or partially plugged? Old gasoline crudding up bottom of tank from ethanol in gas?

Some easy things to check first....

HTH's... Jake

Natually timing a motor requires a light, like Nautime said and he also mentioned a very good point, the condenser, yes I had one of those playing games till I just replaced that good to again, try that.

Beyond my scope of expertise but thanks for the advise. Problem manifested after a new cap and rotor was installed. My guess is either the new parts were made in China and don't match exactly or expert tweaking is needed with a dwell meter. Not a gas issue

Last year my boat was doing the exact same thing thought it was a timing issue it wasn't it was a clogged up fuel screen would be fun at lower rpm when I gave it the gas it would bog down buck and jerk till I dropped the throttle back down then it was smooth as silk

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We're the wires transferred to the new cap correctly? What brand cap? I've seen aftermarket caps not fit properly and were actually off center.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Last year my boat was doing the exact same thing thought it was a timing issue it wasn't it was a clogged up fuel screen would be fun at lower rpm when I gave it the gas it would bog down buck and jerk till I dropped the throttle back down then it was smooth as silk

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I had the same issue and it was the screen on the pick up in the tank.  There was a dead fly stuck to mine.....