Sandy Pond - Anyone target Pike during soft water?

Have a few guys coming up for our annual outing that due to me was moved south from Canada.  We'll be spending a couple of days on the pond and I would like to target Pike for at least one of those days.  (Week of July 10th)  We are catch and release so won't be fishing it out.  Figure targeting pike should allow for other species to be caught as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I have access to a dealer for Rapalas and Smithwicks, so lots of F-9, F-11, J-9, J-11, BX minnows, HJ's, Cranking Raps, XRaps and Rogues.  Will take Johnson's minnows and daredevls plus a couple of spinnerbaits and jigs with plastics.  Should we include large minnows, worms, and/or leeches in the arsenal?  Anything I'm missing?

Figuring pulling over the weeds, along the edges, and other fishy looking spots near the 'deep' parts of the pond, outside of the boat traffic.  Other suggestions?

Any info would be appreciated.  I've found lots of info on ice fishing the pond, not much on open water season.  If you prefer to PM info, no problem.

Thanks in advance.

SPINNERBAITS! Seriously, they will produce the most pike for you from my experience. Especially if you figure getting into other species. It'll get you into pike and bass. Get some white and red spinnerbaits and tip them with some soft plastics with curly tails. I prefer 1/2 spinnerbaits, tandem willow blades. Presentation is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks for the response.  You are the second person that has mentioned them to me.  Go figure I put in a big order for shallow runners, had to rush to get a bunch of Terminators in as well! 

Anyone need lots of shallow running cranks?

I never fished sandy but I've caught tons of pike on inline spinners. Rooster tails weren't that great but Mepps #5's work great, especially red/white. Copper and gold would be the next best colors. Bluefox's are good too. You'll get more hits with a flouro leader over wire. But after each fish cut off a few inches of leader and retie or you'll break off the next fish.

My best pike days overall have been on spinner baits, i like its versatility , rod tip high and make a wake or slow and low, see how they like it. And as stated by tman12 tipped with curly tails for action , mass , and extra weight to cast further or cut wind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wow, this is getting expensive quick!  Any thoughts they might be feeding on the Gobys as well?  We've caught goby off the dock when dunking worms, was wondering of some brown/craw colored would work as well.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.  Now trying to hide all the boxes of new gear from my wife!

I  tend to fish tough to access waters so I'll share my secret weapon with the masses. 

Gold and black shad colored rc2 crankbaits. Good luck finding any locally, I'm pretty sure I bought all of them. 

Troll along the weed edge. the quieter and smaller the boat the better. Don't know what it is but I can't keep them off the things. They're not even meant for pike, but they have been my biggest producer both trolling and casting by a long shot.When trolling I run straight 20 or 30 braid, they don't seem to mind and i don't seem to lose lures. Just make sure you check for nicks and retie regularly. You will also pick up bass, walleye, and monster sized panfish if you run them long enough.

I've been dragging my electric canoe into some shore launch only water and crushing em with those things the last few weeks. Nothing like getting dragged around by a beaster pike. I only keep one line in the water per person now, so you don't have more fish on than people to reel. If the driver gets a hit, tip the motor up first thing in case they drag you into the rocks/weeds.

If you're looking for some action packed fishing to do with the kids, this is my go-to. Just make sure you put floats on your rods and adjust the drag properly for some big gators.

I don't kayak fish, but i would imagine it would work even better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, what can I say, it was a disaster.  One boat conked out at lunch on day 1 and the group decided to fish for walleye primarily.  Not very successfully I might add.  My fishing time was almost nil due to family issues so I didn't even get a chance.

Thanks to Justtracytrolling and Andy Bliss for rescuing the week with 2 days on Otisco and 2 days on the Big O'.

Edited by smallcal

Thanks Justin.  It was a blast.  That daughter is unreal, she shamed all the guys again on Wednesday, landing a 24 lb salmon.  Thursday was lake trout after lake trout after lake trout.  Lots of fun!

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be staying on Sandy Pond this weekend and am hoping to target some offshore walleye and more so pike off the east shore of the lake. This will be my first venture for pike outside of the pond, conditions permitting. I have a few areas in mind but probably will try to stay within 5-7 miles of the north pond channel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

I have caught many big pike on sandy pond by fishing the big weed beds by the island and the opposite side by the boat launch and cabins with a white 1/2 spinnerbait over the weeds.. I have had some outstanding days on this lake.. Also trolled it one evening going across the lake from the island and had one of the greatest trolls I have ever experienced for pike..

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by John Edward