canandaigua trout derby

WOW, LES and SON...........and what a singular memory with DAD... what a bonus !!!!! and imagine the BT caviar, what, several pounds probably and at many dollars per ounce. Oh, not about the money, but how much of this great delicacy is simply dumped !! Hey, maybe some botarga and a taste  of the Mediterranean

A big congratulations to you, Les. 

A big congratulations to you, Les.  You can now shrug off the label "always a bridesmaid, never a bride." Although a smigen of luck was certainly a factor, by far your first place trout was the result of experience, knowledge, attention to detail, and tenacity.  Well deserved, very happy for you and Mark.  Hop.

Very nice fish Les...we've caught a bunch of browns around 5 lbs this year...but nothing like that...if you don't mind me asking what did ya catch it on? And was just wondering how you like your new trolling motor? I thought about getting one like yours but went with Yamaha instead

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wow! thanks so much for all the nice comments folks I really appreciate it. It was a real peak experience for both Mark and I. We have fished together since he was 2 1/2 and he is now 37 and we've placed a bunch of times in derbies but never the grand prize and breaking the record for this particular derby was special as well as it has run for 35 years. A special thanks to you Hop as our old school methods from fishing together for so long finally paid off with timing etc.and those words coming from you I view as "special". I am looking forward to the mount that came as part of the prize as I have never had any fish mounted out of the many caught over the years. I know the fish would be a "nice one" on Lake O but no record breaker but on this lake it was a pretty special fish and I am grateful for the experience of catching her. and being able to share that experience (and memory) with my kid. I should also mention that the folks that put this derby on are all  very generous volunteers and the money goes to Mercy Flight, Hospeace House, and Camp Good Days and Special Times so it is a real family type event.

post-145411-0-61208100-1465783247_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-92773700-1465783291_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-27503400-1465783316_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks Glen, Trouthunter and Ed (Mr. Seneca Brown) :) One of the really neat things that happened Saturday morning is that all three of the top fish came to the weigh station at the same time so we had a chance to chat for awhile while waiting for the scales to be set up etc. and one of the people was the guy from Auburn that won the Seneca Lake derby just a couple weeks ago and the young guy in his boat who had the 13 lb brown (2nd place) which was a beauty. Those folks and the fellow who had the 12 lb laker (a teacher from Honeoye) couldn't have been more gracious and were genuinely happy for us as we were for them. I think that speaks a lot for our chosen sport and the type of folks involved in it. Thanks to all the well wishers  we have heard from on here and other places. Tight lines to all.

Edited by Sk8man