Iso of sutton 44's

Blade Runners better than nothing, BUT 1) you can't "tune" them - they snap, and 2) they are not genuine silver plated. I have wondered several times if it would be worth the learning curve and expense to set up a very small "clandestine" silver plating operation to try to re-plate my own used up Sutton blanks and any others I could scrape up. Seems like the plating issue at Sutton has been going on long enough that if they really wanted, they would have found a solution. I have spoken with the owner several times over the last few years about the pent up demand for the product and that even if they passed on substantially higher plating cost they may still be at a price point much more attractive to their loyal customers than "scalper" prices on the online auction site. He doesn't seem to be particularly motivated to address the issue. OK, free country, his business not mine. Seems like their is more than enough demand that someone would step up. My humble opinion. 

Just as an FYI I have been using the great lakes 44's for the past couple years and they work great. The plain silver colored ones in particular have a very durable finish. I have been a Sutton spoon user for more than 40 years  and still use them too but although the true silver finish is great in terms of being seen underwater for a distance it is not highly durable over time. I have had some tarnish anfd the "protective" lacquer coating deteriorate while still in the tackle box never exposed to water. The nice thing about the Great Lakes 44's is that you can tape them up with various colors depending on whatever species you are targeting and you can change tape without affecting the spoon finish.....not always so with Sutton's. In short, I LOVE them. :lol:

P.S. I have also had a chinook rip the standard treble hook off the Sutton spoon despite the solid ring and bend the spoon beyond recognition and that was back when I changed everything over to stainless single hooks.

Edited by Sk8man

The mooselook thinfish is spot on stamping of a 44. Flutter style. Real silver/gold finish. Pile of finish options aside from the usual metal finishes.

Moosalamoo makes a spot on 61. Called the 61 gun. It's mid weight. Halfway between casting and flutter. Hundred or more pattern options Google AJ Bait and Tackle NH and go on their website for the most comprehensive listing on 61 gun styles. They have a 44 knock off also called the flutter gun. Not as effective as the thinfish

post-154815-14658870846913_thumb.jpg

post-154815-14658871001281_thumb.jpg

My experience visiting the Sutton store in Naples has been hit or miss. I occasionally can pass through there on my way to business meetings in Buffalo area. If you have the chance to go, you should. The store is like a trip back in time. From the pressed tin ceiling to the man, Jim Stafford, himself, there is nothing like it. By no means does visiting the store equate to being sold hard to find Sutton spoon sizes. On some days I have been sent on my way with a "don't have any". Other days Jim has found his way into some unlabeled, unrecognizable wooden drawer and put me onto a top performer that I had never used before. My by far best day was when I bought the components for a Seth Green rig. He lit up as much as Jim ever does and worked with me for a good amount of time and introduced me to many of the spoons that mimic the 44's. Some do, some don't. Jim seems to know the difference. It is a unique experience.

(I have NEVER been able to get a Sutton #44 there in many years of visits)

Here is an old Sutton #26 with a box swivel marked: S.R. SUTTON

post-142093-0-76121400-1465908528_thumb.jpg

Edited by 58Johnson