My favorite walleye lake, Lake Thompson SD.

John Kelley

I had a  very good day tossing 1/8 jig and leech combination for walleyes yesterday on my favorite walleye lake in Eastern South Dakota.  I caught 26 in the morning from 18-26 inches, and was off the lake before 8:30 a.m.  Then I took my friend Conrad out in the evening and helped catch his limit, plus a bunch of slab crappies in the evening.  I ended up catching well over 40 walleyes and over 10 nice crappies from 12-15 inches long.  Conrad had never caught several large walleyes before, and it was cool to see him land and release 6 over the 25" mark.  Tons of fun on light spinning gear in 4-5 feet of water.  Here is my morning limit. Taking my 82 year old neighbor, Ken with me this morning.  Hoping for more of the same. Thanks.

post-150571-0-63471800-1465720229_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Kelley

Is this near Devils Lake in SD? I saw it featured on Tom Gruenwald Outdoors...... Looks like SD has some incredible walleye fishing..... From what I recall, not huge fish but amazing numbers. Sounds like a blast!!! Good stuff and Thanks for sharing.

Wow... I just... Read your post in its entirety.... Guess big fish and big numbers!! Awesome!! Congrats.

Well, no, not Erie or Lake Ontario big, type fish.  But we do get the occasional 10 pounder, and lots of medium big fish!  :yes:  :yes:

Is this near Devils Lake in SD? I saw it featured on Tom Gruenwald Outdoors...... Looks like SD has some incredible walleye fishing..... From what I recall, not huge fish but amazing numbers. Sounds like a blast!!! Good stuff and Thanks for sharing.

Way further south, and east than Devils lake, but the exact type of prairie pothole type of lake.  Vast and fairly shallow.  16,000 acres with a maximum depth of just over 20 feet.  Very windswept, as well. :)

Here are my buddy Conrad's 2 biggest fish from last night, @ 28 and 26 inches.  Both of these fish were released, their smaller 19 inch brothers and sisters were not so lucky!!LOL :)

post-150571-0-93917600-1465759470_thumb.jpg

post-150571-0-19215200-1465759493_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Kelley

I am curious - how many others looked to see how far it was to this lake?  It is 20:36 for me.   I love your posts John.

Thanks man.  The two summers I spent working in your beautiful state, and trolling on Lake Ontario were the 2 best years of my life!!  Just trying to give a little back, maybe get some of you guys to come west to check out what we have out here on the Prairie. I will actually be back at the Oak this summer for a full week near the end of August, with my old Army buddies.  We are having a reunion at the Cottages at 4C's.  Much salmon and trout fishing will occur, as well.  Hope to see some of you again!! :)

:yes:  :yes:  :)

My sister lives in Kansas..... I am dying to go whitetail hunting out there. Maybe make a surf and turf trip.... SD by way of Kansas[emoji848]

Hahaha, I call that a "cast and blast" trip, but yeah, that sounds like it could be in order!!  Don't forget, we also have some tremendous whitetail and Mulie hunting, not to mention the absolute best pheasant hunting in the country.

I'm buying a place in SD! Amazing peasant hunting and walleye fishing. Screw Florida in the winter SD here I come.

Hahaha, Chas, be warned though, the winters are way more brutal than NY, and the wind howls out here on the prairie.  Plus, it would be a huge culture shock, as there are only about 800,000 people in the whole state!!LOL :yes:  :yes:   Traffic is way better, though!! :lol:  :lol:  

I am curious - how many others looked to see how far it was to this lake?  It is 20:36 for me.   I love your posts John.

I can usually make it to the Oak, towing my boat in about 18 hours.  1245 miles, or thereabouts! :)

Heading out tho Lake Thompson here in a couple of hours.  I am in the Central time zone, so an hour behind you guys.  I will keep you updated on how I do tonight.  Hot and and still again tonight.  93 degrees at my house. :yes:  :yes: