Take that, scallops

Prof T

I know there is a seperate recipe thread, but if you're a walleye guy and haven't tried this you are missing out. Simple appetizers everyone will love.

Just take chunks of walleye, a little salt and Old Bay, and wrap with only1/9 a strip of bacon. I cut into thirds lengthwise, then cut them into 3 strips. Adds flavor and gives the tooth pic or scewer something to grab. Grill till the bacon is done and the fish will be AWESOME.

Not a bad use of cheeks if you've got them either.

post-156305-0-60967100-1465735506_thumb.jpg

post-156305-0-93351100-1465735542_thumb.jpg

post-156305-0-16338400-1465735578_thumb.jpg

I do similar with chunks of venison, goose, or duck breast with a sliced water chestnut in the center for crunch. Marinate in teriyaki for a few hours and grill till still rare inside. Non- game eaters gobble them. Going to try with the walleye chunks and cheeks.

Nothing like the cheeks ....closest thing to scallops out there.  Great idea regarding the fire pit Slammin. I have plenty of various wood chips so I 'l give it a try :yes:

• Like 1

WOW!! I am typing in a puddle of drool...... Great ideas..... Going to try them all, I think. Love the bacon wrapped walleye on grill as appetizer, Prof T!! The wood smoke sounds amazing too. Very tasty post.

Something to think about maybe, when doing bacon wrapped things I like half-cooking it first, 10 minutes maybe a little longer at 350 in the oven.  Helps crisp things up so you don't get either rubbery bacon or overcooked middle meat.  

Justin's BBQ ones come out great so maybe the sauce helps cook things more evenly in that case.  Good stuff I'll have to try that recipe out on the girlfriend next

I do the same thing as Prof T. with small strips of bacon. It doesn't take a lot of bacon to add plenty of flavor. Bacon wrapped walleye is always a hit at our parties!

You guys are making me hungry.

Edited by reeleyz

Sweet Baby Rays brushed in while cooking is the way to go!! I also throw in a slice of jalapeño pepper when I do it with my duck and it's out standing. Just remove the seeds or it can get way to hot.

It turns out as I had expected...we ALL like to figure them out, spend time and money catching them, go through the work of preparing them but get the most enjoyment out of treating friends and family to fine table fare that you just can't get anywhere else.

My most requested appetizer.

Lake Trout cheeks also !!!!! I usually just take the fresh ones put them in a coffee cup with some butter and nuke them...... how are you guys keeping your walleye cheeks till you get a bunch to do up ?  

If you like just a little more spice with your BBQ sauce this is what I do as a standard sauce in our house. Simple: Mix half a bottle of sweet baby ray's with half a bottle of Dino's Wango Tango.  You get the best of both worlds, the thin spiciness of the Dino cuts the thick sweetness of Ray's. We love it.

Lake Trout cheeks also !!!!! I usually just take the fresh ones put them in a coffee cup with some butter and nuke them...... how are you guys keeping your walleye cheeks till you get a bunch to do up ?  

I vacuum seal them. Use the roll of vacuum seal bag material and make it quite a bit longer than you need. Then, when you get more cheeks, cut off the sealed end, add cheeks, and reseal, again and again....

I vacuum seal them. Use the roll of vacuum seal bag material and make it quite a bit longer than you need. Then, when you get more cheeks, cut off the sealed end, add cheeks, and reseal, again and again....

Thanks , 

I either vacuum seal or use a zip lock and add water to cover cheeks. That way you can easily keep adding cheeks and water till bag is full. There is also a nice thumb size chuck of meat in front of each pectoral fin that is worth saving.I already have a couple quart bags frozen ready to use.

God I love this forum... On this one post Ive learned like 4 new things!! Prosciutto wrapped sounds like a great idea.... Of course being Italian I could eat most anything with prosciutto and think it was heaven. The meat in front of the pectoral fin is something I have to check out too. Good stuff. Keep these gems coming guys!! Lol

Reminds me of my dad always saving bacon grease to cook things in. He always breaded and fried his walleyes in the bacon grease....wow...very tasty, however he only lived to 61 years..he liked the fat stuff just a bit too much.

Nice ideas folks! Now when do we eat?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app