Most productive copper lengths in July 100-150 fow

All you guys that run copper what do you find to be your most productive coppers lengths in 100-150 fow? I want to get a decent copper setup going this year and looking at doing a 400' of 45# with 650' of 40# PP backing. I am planning on running a 10 color leadcore setup along with the copper. 

Any advice is appreciated.

• Like 1

I know we get in a mind set about the lengths of copper and trying to closely approximate the desired depth with it but when using the real long coppers (e.g. 500 or 600 ft) it seems to take forever to get them back in even with a  high retrieve reel and especially with a good fish on them.  One of the compromises that can be considered is this: Use a 300 or so copper which extends the length of a football field, gets down about 60 or so ft. which is plenty to retrieve and then add weight on or near the leader section. You can even use a removable dropper weight suspended from the end of the copper if not in a high structure and abruptly changing bottom so that you can let it touch bottom to know where you are starting out  and then bring it up to the estimated desired depth. It may not be as accurate as just the longer copper for precise depth but it is much easier to bring in and usually gets the job done and you can get TWO rigs out of one 600 ft of copper. It also can be better down the chute depending on what else you are running. This approach may also allow you to increase the amount of backing used. :)

Edited by Sk8man

Yeah I was talking 400' of 45# copper.

I don't really want to run 600' I only usually fish 150-175 fow so I don't really have a need for a 600' copper nor do I have a reel for it at this present time. 

I figured a 250' and a 400' setup would be enough maybe phase out my leadcore. I would also be running these on big boards (not that it makes a difference).

250' and 400 are nice lengths as traditionally many fish are caught at 50' and 80' range. You could also just add torpedo weights to your leadcore rigs

Edited by Gill-T

450' is deadly in the trench Chas... what brand 45# copper do you plan to spool up? I use the 45# Bloodrun and have never had an issue. You may consider upping the PP to 50#... the slightly larger diameter will help it not eat into itself on the arbor of the reel. That PP can be a real pain on a screaming King.

Definitely go with a high retrieve reel. The Daiwa Seagate 60s are solid and relatively affordable. Excellent drag is a must.

Edited by FleetTracker

450' is deadly in the trench Chas... what brand 45# copper do you plan to spool up? I use the 45# Bloodrun and have never had an issue. You may consider upping the PP to 50#... the slightly larger diameter will help it not eat into itself on the arbor of the reel. That PP can be a real pain on a screaming King.

Definitely go with a high retrieve reel. The Daiwa Seagate 60s are solid and relatively affordable. Excellent drag is a must.

I was going to run the atommik copper haven't heard bad things about either brand.

You run the copper and the lead core together they have a love affair and always want to intertwine. It's amazing I mean the are like horny teenagers underwater.

Haha my wife just looked at me like I was nuts I was laughing so hard. Dually noted on that point. Edited by Chas0218

Is that the thin stuff you see in stores prespooled? If so, it sure does behave differently in water it seems. The Bloodrun is thicker I think. Also makes it a bit more friendly to deploy.

Not sure on the diameter I think it is the same as the bloodrun I'll look into it and compare. I was looking through the bloodrun site and are they in business still? Most if not all the links on their webpage are broken links or don't lead to what is pictured/listed.

Researched a little and the atommik is .037 where the bloodrun is .033.

Edited by Chas0218

Bloodrun's website has always been sub-par... looks like it again has been overhauled and is worse then ever. Too bad because they used to have a lot of solid data to share with their customers that aided in their ability to pull the trigger and buy something. Now you have to create an account, log in, blah blah... people don't want to do that and to some degree I would imagine may affect sales.

Great products... just don't understand the hoops they're making people jump through on their website.

Sounds good on Atommik brand - maybe I've never seen the copper Tom sells... just don't buy the thin crap you see pre-spooled in the stores. I don't know what brand it is but its garbage.

I have a 250, 400, and 450. The 250 hasn't produced much for me... the 400 and 450 are solid in July and August.

Edited by FleetTracker

Not sure on the diameter I think it is the same as the bloodrun I'll look into it and compare. I was looking through the bloodrun site and are they in business still? Most if not all the links on their webpage are broken links or don't lead to what is pictured/listed.

Researched a little and the atommik is .037 where the bloodrun is .033.

Some of the content on our website is accessible only after logging into your account, and if you are not logged into your account an error page will display.   

Some of the content on our website is accessible only after logging into your account, and if you are not logged into your account an error page will display.

That might have been why it wasn't working, thanks for the help looks like I can see the articles and tips.

You run the copper and the lead core together they have a love affair and always want to intertwine. It's amazing I mean the are like horny teenagers underwater.

NOW THAT IS SOME FUNNY CHIT!

Bloodrun, i use your stuff and think its great, and loved reading your articles , but not with the change in format, its not user friendly as stated above, sorry but people dont want to log in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Wishn.   We had some technical limitations with the new site/mobile format, should be fixed now for access with or without logging in.  Let us know if there is still something that cannot be accessed and we will check it out.

Start with a 300' as some people said you can always add a snap weights to take it deeper and then add a copper in another length as you can afford to. I find that the 200' copper is lights out on steelhead in the summer when then kings are just moving in to 200 FOW or less. I've built up to 6 copper rigs over the years from 150'to 600'. I tend not to run more than 4 off the big boards. That just my preference and experience with some nasty tangles. They will all work on any given day and time of the year and will serve their purpose. Good luck to you.