New reels for copper but need some input

Wow tks great info how do you feel about 27 lb. Led core I have some of that as well

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You could get 10 colors on that reel with 900 feet backing of 30 lb braid. The copper will get you much deeper however.

I think the 27lb lead core is just a .001 less thickness than blood run 45lb copper. So it figures about the same in volume.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Skipper do these numbers seem right for a reel that holds 310 yards of 25#? I was going to put a 4 color on this reel but was't sure if it would fit with 300yds of 30# PP. The numbers below are what I calculated using your spreadsheet after finding how much 30# line the reel can hold.

CONVERT YARDS TO VOLUME  250 57.5 4.35

Skipper do these numbers seem right for a reel that holds 310 yards of 25#? I was going to put a 4 color on this reel but was't sure if it would fit with 300yds of 30# PP. The numbers below are what I calculated using your spreadsheet after finding how much 30# line the reel can hold.

CONVERT YARDS TO VOLUME 250 57.5 4.35

Actually by using a calculator and the 25 lb mono spec of .019 and the rated capacity of 310 yards. The reel comes to 4.02 cubic inches of volume.

The spread sheet is limited to finding the volume of a reel that has manufacturers line capacity specs based on 30 lb mono. Other specs can easily be calculated to find the volume by dividing the rated line diameter, such as 25 lb being .019, in thousands of an inch into 1 and square that answer then Divide by 36. Then Divide the yardage capacity of the 25 lb, which for that reel is 310 by the answer from the first calculation. The result is the volume in cubic inches of that reel.

So I made up the 2 reels and the 300 fit perfectly but that 400 is now a 387 unless blood run puts more than 400' on their 400' spool. Also the haywire twist with the swivel and shrink wrap took up too much room and forced me to use an Albright knot. I tried to keep the reels as tight as possible but I think that 45 lbs. Takes up a little more room because it doesn't lay perfectly flat across the spool (each wrap right next to rack other but instead little gaps).

So I made up the 2 reels and the 300 fit perfectly but that 400 is now a 387 unless blood run puts more than 400' on their 400' spool. Also the haywire twist with the swivel and shrink wrap took up too much room and forced me to use an Albright knot. I tried to keep the reels as tight as possible but I think that 45 lbs. Takes up a little more room because it doesn't lay perfectly flat across the spool (each wrap right next to rack other but instead little gaps).

Yes the haywire and even the Albright does take away space off the reel and can cause the loss of that 13 feet of copper. That was going to be a bit too tight with 40lb backing. That's why I recommended 30lb backing and leaving about .020 to .025 in the green on the spread sheet calculator. If it gets to zero, then any large knot would cause volume interference with the reel framing or level wind guide. The over wraps on a large knot like that, especially in 45lb copper, will cause the wire to lump and usually there are two of those knots involved in the full setup, backing to copper, copper to leader. I recall you were going to try 650 feet of 40lb braid.

How much of what size backing did you finally decide to use with the 45lb blood run? Is this the same 30 series sealine you asked about in the beginning?

Yes the haywire and even the Albright does take away space off the reel and can cause the loss of that 13 feet of copper. That was going to be a bit too tight with 40lb backing. That's why I recommended 30lb backing and leaving about .020 to .025 in the green on the spread sheet calculator. If it gets to zero, then any large knot would cause volume interference with the reel framing or level wind guide. The over wraps on a large knot like that, especially in 45lb copper, will cause the wire to lump and usually there are two of those knots involved in the full setup, backing to copper, copper to leader. I recall you were going to try 650 feet of 40lb braid.

How much of what size backing did you finally decide to use with the 45lb blood run? Is this the same 30 series sealine you asked about in the beginning?

I did end up using the 30# backing but maybe my line counter is further off than I thought. I ended up using a Penn 30 warfare same specs add the Penn Squall.

I did end up using the 30# backing but maybe my line counter is further off than I thought. I ended up using a Penn 30 warfare same specs add the Penn Squall.

Maybe, I actually take it outside and use a laser range finder. Hook the end to something large and stable, my pickup was good. I walked away until I was reading 100 feet away with the spool of wire, marked that spot. Set the spool down and anchored it so it wouldn't move. Attached my backing already on the reel to the copper, and reeled it up to the spool. Then set mt reel down and ran off another 100 feet back to the pickup. Repeat until I got the desired footage on the reel. Crude but is accurate with the laser.

Maybe, I actually take it outside and use a laser range finder. Hook the end to something large and stable, my pickup was good. I walked away until I was reading 100 feet away with the spool of wire, marked that spot. Set the spool down and anchored it so it wouldn't move. Attached my backing already on the reel to the copper, and reeled it up to the spool. Then set mt reel down and ran off another 100 feet back to the pickup. Repeat until I got the desired footage on the reel. Crude but is accurate with the laser.

I was thinking of doing that but figured that little line counter would be close. Live and learn!

When I repair copper from a break I just use another spro swivel.

That's one way. I use hollow core for repairs and even used it on a 32lb copper reel that broke, and I didn't have enough 32 to fill it, but had some 45 and spliced about 100 feet onto the end of the 32. Found out it worked pretty good! Got the reel filled and even got a but more depth coverage. No knots, and smooth.