If it is calm I would run all the way out to the 31 line at about 4:30 a.m., and set up in 600 plus feet of water.  A wise old retired charter captain, that used to run one of the "Oaks" marinas, told me "there are always good fish out at the 31 line, if you can get out there."  Said he would always head there with his clients first thing in the morning, and be back with his happy clients and their limit of big steelhead and salmon just as everyone else was heading out onto the lake.  I will have to say, I have never done badly way out there 12 to 13 miles off shore.  I guess it all depends on the weather, how big your boat is, and how much gas you are willing to burn.  Good luck, and let us know how you do.   :yes:  :yes:   

We fished the Oak today (Tuesday). Rough as a bugger from 6am till about noon. Lake calmed down in afternoon. Never got past 250 fow. Lots of bait in the 150fow area. Picked up a very small king down 110' and about 7 lakers, one was freakin huge but the wife, my princess, "accidentally" knocked the lure loose with the net. All our fish came after the lake began to calm. I doubt there were more than 5 or 6 boats out of the oak.

If it is calm I would run all the way out to the 31 line at about 4:30 a.m., and set up in 600 plus feet of water. A wise old retired charter captain, that used to run one of the "Oaks" marinas, told me "there are always good fish out at the 31 line, if you can get out there." Said he would always head there with his clients first thing in the morning, and be back with his happy clients and their limit of big steelhead and salmon just as everyone else was heading out onto the lake. I will have to say, I have never done badly way out there 12 to 13 miles off shore. I guess it all depends on the weather, how big your boat is, and how much gas you are willing to burn. Good luck, and let us know how you do. :yes::yes:

Wow!! Doug is still trying to get people to burn tons of gas, and he doesn't even own the marina.... Lol. Did he tell you this at the gas dock? That's where I heard it!

Edited by Team Game Face

Wow!! Doug is still trying to get people to burn tons of gas, and he doesn't even own the marina.... Lol. Did he tell you this at the gas dock? That's where I heard it!

Hahaha, no, while in his store and buying something.  We used to always BS in the mornings and afternoons.  Didn't matter for me, as I always got gas from him anyways, and was always topping off, even when I probably didn't have to.LOL

Hahaha, no, while in his store and buying something.  We used to always BS in the mornings and afternoons.  Didn't matter for me, as I always got gas from him anyways, and was always topping off, even when I probably didn't have to.LOL

If it is calm I would run all the way out to the 31 line at about 4:30 a.m., and set up in 600 plus feet of water.  A wise old retired charter captain, that used to run one of the "Oaks" marinas, told me "there are always good fish out at the 31 line, if you can get out there."  Said he would always head there with his clients first thing in the morning, and be back with his happy clients and their limit of big steelhead and salmon just as everyone else was heading out onto the lake.  I will have to say, I have never done badly way out there 12 to 13 miles off shore.  I guess it all depends on the weather, how big your boat is, and how much gas you are willing to burn.  Good luck, and let us know how you do.   :yes:  :yes:   

Always thought the same thing about the first mile of the Lake....like that old captain,,,,as time goes by we forget the days the rods did not pop and remember the 4 man limits in an hour!!!  Truth is both were rare, but either zone is productive most of the time.  I just always felt foolish running 15 miles when I could fill the box in 60 fow.

Edited by Captain Carl Bish

West wind must of blown them down our way,😉. Launched out of Sandy at sun up and motored down to Johnson Creek. Tried fishing that way , buy solo couldn't control the boat in the waves and run all the gear. So trolled East. 140-160 caught most my fish today. Meat down deep worked great (dipsy or riggers). Biggest came off spoon 70 down over 160.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I bought my boat three yrs and went through of issues. I literally souls fish a weekend and boat be in shop three weeks. After I got stranded once I put a new mercury pro kicker motor on it. I then installed a Panther steering unit (after not being able to do a reasonable auto pilot on mechanical steering). I probably spent around$4,000 for everything. I can now fish myself with ease. Other great thing is even I take my younger kids. I can literally work all the gear, pop the rods, net the fish, etc. With no help. Going against waves (3 foot or bigger) gets tough. If I simply troll with the waves in a rough day I rarely have to steer. Now I literally power out (couple gallons of gas) and then troll 6 hrs on 2 more gallons. I save at $50-$100 a trip depending how far out. Also no more getting stranded

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app