Took the plunge

Just go out and fish your game. The whole tourney angle puts a twist on the info your gonna receive. When there is money on the line Blue spoons that are catching fish all day change to purple at the dock. The Green Hammer Fly that caught for somebody all day is a Orange and Gold Rapala at the dock. Just go out and do what has worked for you in the past. This is where keeping detailed logs of every trip comes in real handy! 

Go out and first and foremost have fun. Don't overthink your program and don't beat yourself up when you lose a fish (to me this is the most heartbreaking thing when fishing a tourney and seems to generate the most anxiety).

1.) Sharpen your hooks

2.) Check all leaders, knots, etc for any wear and tear

3.) Put out your best spread early

4.) Pay attention to little things like speed, depth, direction of troll and don't forget to make a mental note of these things when a fish hits (often you'll forget to do these things b/c you're focused on landing the fish and then you'll be asking yourself questions later.)

5.) Use meat - it often will catch a big boy

6.) Have fun, have fun, have fun

Good luck,

Chris

Just go out and fish your game. The whole tourney angle puts a twist on the info your gonna receive. When there is money on the line Blue spoons that are catching fish all day change to purple at the dock. The Green Hammer Fly that caught for somebody all day is a Orange and Gold Rapala at the dock. Just go out and do what has worked for you in the past. This is where keeping detailed logs of every trip comes in real handy! 

Yeah I know how that works, I was planning on pre-fishing and get the colors worked out.

Go out and first and foremost have fun. Don't overthink your program and don't beat yourself up when you lose a fish (to me this is the most heartbreaking thing when fishing a tourney and seems to generate the most anxiety).

1.) Sharpen your hooks

2.) Check all leaders, knots, etc for any wear and tear

3.) Put out your best spread early

4.) Pay attention to little things like speed, depth, direction of troll and don't forget to make a mental note of these things when a fish hits (often you'll forget to do these things b/c you're focused on landing the fish and then you'll be asking yourself questions later.)

5.) Use meat - it often will catch a big boy

6.) Have fun, have fun, have fun

Good luck,

Chris

I'll have to have a couple cold beverages to keep me calm. Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about meat and most likely won't be running any. I am really looking forward to fishing for a little money not that I will win any but that would be a plus.

Be versatile!!!!! If the plan isnt working for salmon, go to Browns, or visa Versa. When you pre fish on Friday, try several different methods to see what is working best. The key is you must have 6 fish to place. I've done well in that tourney only catching Browns, and I've done well catching steelies and kings waaaaaaaaay offshore.

That seems to be the consensus, mixed box is really the only way to go. Thanks for the help guys keep it coming, true novice here.

We have a pretty good Brown program King is hit or miss depending on the fish that day lakers I can't seem to keep off my gear.

I thought AMs can NOT cull. This was right off their rules.

Amateurs are allowed to catch up to their NYS legal limit, but no more than a 4 man crew. Once a fish is kept you cannot throw it back.

I thought AMs can NOT cull. This was right off their rules.

Amateurs are allowed to catch up to their NYS legal limit, but no more than a 4 man crew. Once a fish is kept you cannot throw it back.

What gambler said. I fish with 4 guys so we can catch 12 and bring our 6 biggest in. And you don't have to keep shakers, etc

Put your money in for Pro. Pre fish the waters from Port Bay to Ginna and find the best BT water. Get your 11 BT each day, toss in a kicker LT, and you'll cash a top 10. That's the Sodus strategy.

Edited by Yankee Troller

Put your money in for Pro. Pre fish the waters from Port Bay to Ginna and find the best BT water. Get your 11 BT each day, toss in a kicker LT, and you'll cash a top 10. That's the Sodus strategy.

yep that pretty much sums it up Rick Edited by Preys mate

Welcome to the most enjoyable Pro Am on lake Ontario. Me and my boy fish it every year and he's really stoked up for this one!

Not much to add, but I will say this. Having fun is more important than winning. Enjoy yourself and just fish hard, but don't stress.

Sodus has a great core of very friendly fishermen. You don't need to be "in the click" to be quickly accepted like many ports. I think the people are what makes Sodus Point so special.

I have learned there can be only one captain on the boat. Several guys throwing out a constant stream of suggestions can sometimes do more harm than good. Each guy should have their own set of responsabilities.

Fish the weather. If they are calling for heavy west wind over the weekend, be sure your only plan isn't running 15 plus miles west to fish. Us Ams need to be more aware of the forecast than pro's.

Be prepared to catch all three species. Don't get overly locked into just one or two.

Have fun !!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Fishtails

Welcome to the most enjoyable Pro Am on lake Ontario. Me and my boy fish it every year and he's really stoked up for this one!

Not much to add, but I will say this. Having fun is more important than winning. Enjoy yourself and just fish hard, but don't stress.

There can be only one captain on the boat. Several guys throwing out a constant stream of suggestions can sometimes do more harm than good. Each guy should have their own set of responsabilities.

Fish the weather. If they are calling for heavy west wind over the weekend, be shore your only plan isn't running 15 miles west to fish. Us Ams need to be more aware of the forecast than pro's.

Be prepared to catch all three species. Don't get locked into just one or two.

Have fun !!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

From what I have heard this is the Pro/Am you want to start with the atmosphere of the tourney is great. My father and one buddy are great mates they generally keep their mouths shut unless they know something is going to cost me money (i'm a bit frugal at times). We have a new guy joining us I have never met him but I guess he is knowledgeable around riggers and such so we will see. My dad has fished lake O but it has been a while for him but he is getting back into the groove. I am hoping with the pre-fishing he will find it is like riding a bike.

I generally fish walleye and have in the last few years been transitioning into trout and salmon (same concepts just deeper and different lures). I have to say I am excited to give her a shot I saw there are a lot of boats that do well each year and I am hoping I can hold my own. Fishing is a game of luck but experience does help sway the odds in a person's favor. 

Rick, I would put in for Pro but just joining the tourney it is a little intimidating on its own. Basically participating in a tourney I feel you are wagering you're a better fisherman than the others. I don't think I can say that about any of the Pros you all put the time in and are rewarded for that time.

Edited by Chas0218

The Sodus am is a perfect place to start! I do fairly well but I still don't feel like I can compete with the pros... And I've been doing tourneys for 6+ years. Do I occasionally have a better box than most pros? Yes, but on the whole, I would consistently be outside the money. The issue is that the buy ins are usually ALOT higher, and it's just not a smart gamble. If I was able to consistently fish 3+ times a week I would reconsider, but as it stands now we go out about 15-20 times a year. I LOVE tourney fishing though, and hope you do too!

What's a brown? :)

Don't take the tourney to serious, just have fun. I have met too many teams that took it way too serious and ended up in fight, ruined friendships, etc.

I fish with my wife, so I quickly get bopped on the head if I get too serious.

Also, have a plan in place for rough (very rough) water. They pretty much never cancel. This might mean seasickness patches for the crew, or driving slowly west and trolling with the waves, then picking up and doing it all over.

Oh, and follow the good boats out of the chute... they love the company ;)

What's a brown? :)

Don't take the tourney to serious, just have fun. I have met too many teams that took it way too serious and ended up in fight, ruined friendships, etc.

I fish with my wife, so I quickly get bopped on the head if I get too serious.

Also, have a plan in place for rough (very rough) water. They pretty much never cancel. This might mean seasickness patches for the crew, or driving slowly west and trolling with the waves, then picking up and doing it all over.

Oh, and follow the good boats out of the chute... they love the company ;)

Haha thanks, we are a pretty laid back crew I don't mind fishing in tough water obviously not enjoyable but that is usually when the fishing is the best. I haven't ever gotten sea sick not saying I won't but that stuff doesn't really bother me, makes me sleepy usually. You mean to follow out you or Rick you guys always seem to be on fish. Edited by Chas0218

Good luck Chas!! I'm pulling for ya, even if you make the top 10 that's a goal in it's self!! I'm sure you'll do better than that. You definitely have more time on the water, that's a big plus!! Good luck partner, and don't yell at your guys or they'll just sit down and eat sandwiches all day LOL.

don't yell at your guys or they'll just sit down and eat sandwiches all day LOL.

Thanks, if I make the board I'll be happy, top ten is icing on the cake!

So that's what I have been doing wrong with my crew! Haha

Absolutely follow Ruff Rider.  24 ft dark blue bayliner.  Five More Minutes is another good one to follow.... :) 

Those guys will know where the fish are !

If the lake and weather stay the course we could be enjoying a salmon tournament in Sodus.....finally!  It seems like it's been a few years. Nothing against the feisty BT, they have treated me well but It sure would be nice to see some huge king boxes for a change  :yes:

Soon !!!!   Always an awesome time!

I took the plunge also this year and stepped into the fray of the Sodus Pro/AM first tourney for myself also.

Just looking to have fun and get out on the lake really.

Absolutely follow Ruff Rider. 24 ft dark blue bayliner. Five More Minutes is another good one to follow.... :)

Those guys will know where the fish are !

If the lake and weather stay the course we could be enjoying a salmon tournament in Sodus.....finally! It seems like it's been a few years. Nothing against the feisty BT, they have treated me well but It sure would be nice to see some huge king boxes for a change :yes:

Soon !!!! Always an awesome time!

I plan on following you anyways :)

And folks better find some kings, I plan on coming back with a cooler full this year!