Afternoon Fishing?

I have a theory that fish have an aggressive feed every six hours.

Had days where the bite kicks up good around 11:30-2 then slows down again until that 5-8 range. Always seems to be best times of mid to late day fishing I've run into with customers.

Good luck

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My years of pier fishing in the eighties I would witness similar 4 hour feeding activity gaps. Nobody would be catching anything then all of a sudden everyone was hooking up for 30 minutes then quiet again. I don't know if it is a metabolism thing or if fish got acclimated to hatchery feeding schedules.

Just checked and Altmar feeds their fish by hand dispersal every 6-8 hours.

Recollection of feeding Windows on Ontario trolling would be first light, 8:30/10:30, 12:00/2:00, 4:00/6:00, last light.

Edited by Gill-T

Other factors:

The moon phase...full moon lets fish feed at night...often creates a good 10am-2pm bite as the fish begin to feed again.

Cold fronts and high pressure...can shut down and turn on fish.

Lure color needs to match the sun/cloud cover and angle.

The factors go on and on. 

I often don't have much luck in the mid afternoon. I often fish the top 35ft out deep for Bows and Salmon during the afternoon lull.

Most would fish first light and evening bite for the greatest chance of a bite. 

The more "prime times" you can have lines in the water the more chance you have to be in the right place at the right time for when the bite turns on. 

post-142093-0-29788900-1466108237_thumb.jpg

i fish afternoons a lot as it lets the wife sleep in and thus keeps her happy.  you can catch fish there.  my lifes experience tells me morning bite is hot than what many experience as a lull is actully the fish transitioning.  As light levels and temps and oftern wind and waves change from morning to afternoon the fish often change patterns and places as well just like people finding new comfort zones.  If you can find the afternoon patterns you can do quite well but expect them to be different than what worked in the morning.  down side is boat traffic.  evening bite can be good but than your trip gets ended by darkness and thats not always good for coming back to launch

Biggest kings usually come after  10-11am for me. Somebody once told me that early in the morning everything is active and feeding and then the smaller fish start slowing down first as the morning progresses. The larger fish with larger bellies continue to feed longer in to the morning. Kinda made sense to me and explained why after 10-11am was when I always caught my largest fish.

I have had some great afternoons as well, usually after 2 pm for salmon & steelies. If targeting lakers on bottom the middle of the day when the sun is highest has always been best for me. Browns, early morning is always best and sometimes can last until 10-11am if it is cloudy. Full moon, after 9am has always seen the best bite for me. Any time of the day with an east wind is usually going to be tough.

With that said, I have seen many many exceptions to everything. Best advice is just to fish when you have the time and the lake is nice.

my biggest bucks, lakers, steelhead, and kings have all come from 1:00 pm till dusk! Cant catch fish or kill deer from the couch! I hear ya on the early mornings! Go gettem!.