Early Morning SLR

Prof T

Most guys that have read my posts know I'm an after dark fisherman. The fish have been cooperating this week, but family dinner plans kept me in the house last night.

So I got up at " 0 kevin 30 " and was on the water by 3:30 AM. Decided to explore a couple spots that are a little farther away than I generally go, Pleasantly surprised as my limit came pretty quickly. Had to share the river with only one other boat at daybreak. Photo attached. Not a bad way to start the day!

Other caption could have been "how to make a 21 incher look small"

Cheers!

post-156305-0-81152600-1466074693_thumb.jpg

post-156305-0-94415800-1466074830_thumb.jpg

Edited by Prof T

Awesome profT, I got to say you and Kevin have a barrel full of ambition to fish the crazy hrs. You do. I'm pretty sure in your before life you were a Muskie, as you 2 guys fish some wacky ass hrs. For those eyes. No wonder those eyes taste so good come January/February!!! Keep up the great effort, to put 3 more eyes on the board!!! Congrats.

Prof T, Great catch. Few places have sunsets and sunrises as beautiful as the SLR, in my humble opinion. The purple, pinks, blues and oranges are just remarkable. That looks like it could be a future Michael Ringer painting! Beautiful photo.

Nice bunch of wee morning 'eyes! Those bastard over 25" fish always end up slicing the snot out of my thumbs and index fingers with their gill plate spines.  A small price to pay to be a walleye guy, I suppose!!  :lol:  :lol:  :yes:

My 6 year old son and I are fishing "early" Sat am.... Hope the traffic is manageable with the favorable weather forecasted and bass opener. Looking forward to a productive day with any luck..... I love watching my boy reel in a feisty walleye.... He can barely hang onto the rod and loves every minute of it. Not sure who enjoys it more. Sure is great though. Tight lines guys.

I love fishing all night and much prefer casting but I really don't like driving home afterwards, that's my biggest problem with night fishing.  If it were 20 minutes sure but an hour and a half is bad news for me, the risk of falling asleep is high.  I might have to switch and start trolling, especially as I like actually catching fish too!

But being out when most people aren't, no blazing sun, man it's great. 

Prof T great pics, nice catch, it was a great sunrise, I had a huge pink rainbow!  (In the sky)

Little off topic.....Anyone picking up an occasional Drum during their fishing exploits?? Hear of them being caught on the lake while chasing eyes. I usually pick several up each season bass fishing on the river but have yet to snag one fishing for eyes. Just kind of curious.

My buddy caught a 5 pound drum last year while we were bass fishing near clayton. He smoked most of it and made some fish jerky with the rest. It was awesome!! The smoked drum was really delicious.

Catch some monster drum jigging for eyes in Cape Vincent area as well late summer. Super fighters. Always wondered if they were good to eat as they seem to be voracious predators and their saltwater cousins are delicious. Are their fillets boneless like other gamefish or do they have some sort of weird bone structure?

My dad was always one of those people who, we don't wast anything, well one day we thought he had the mother walleye on only to be disapointed by a sheep head. The damn thing died on the boat thinking we could revive it in the livewells. Well I filleted it soaked it in milk dad did his thing with lemon, pepper, salt, butter and on the grill it went, well it wasn't the best, if you like really strong fish tasting fish then you'll like it. Personally I think they suck!!! Oh we thought it would be good, because the meat turned snow white. 👎👎

Thanks for that story! I have pretty much the same childhood story about a carp (although definitel NOT white meat!). I never wanted to kill a drum just for an experiment and throw it in the trash if it wasn't any good. Although these days I would just bury it in the garden and convert it into plump tomatoes and whatnot .

I have had more positive experiences eating drum.... Handling is very important with this fish. It must be put on ice as soon as it is caught. Then filleted promptly. Drum is fished commercially in the midwest so there is demand for it.

Caught this 20.5" walleye on Saturday.... By the looks of things this may not have been his best week. Very impressive bite marks and there was actually some indication of internal trauma when I cleaned him. post-155409-14663595908791_thumb.jpg