Early Morning SLR

Prof T

Could it have been from a muskie bite? Nice job getting him.

(I fished last week and had a tough time finding them. Had one walleye chase my jig right up to the surface just before sunset on Thursday evening and that was it. Managed to get a bass and pike on Saturday morning. Learned a lot though trying different things and got to know the water more. Weather was awesome).

Could it have been from a muskie bite? Nice job getting him.

(I fished last week and had a tough time finding them. Had one walleye chase my jig right up to the surface just before sunset on Thursday evening and that was it. Managed to get a bass and pike on Saturday morning. Learned a lot though trying different things and got to know the water more. Weather was awesome).

Had a good week fishing in perfect conditions. Made it outa half dozen times. Moon cycle great, winds great, able to get my 3 fish without too much difficulty. I did do a lot of moving around though both to try to target different fish as well as take advantage of low fishing pressure. I know some other guys did the same.

I thought last night would be the same. Perfect moon, didn't even get on the water till 10:30PM. Stuck it out till 12:30. Got 1 midget walley and foul hooked a rock bass!

I hate being human!

Sounds good Prof T, I was on the river last week as well. What a great run of weather. I am still a walleye beginner and soaking things up. Did not catch any eyes but had one come up to the top chasing my jig on Thursday evening. Took a big swirling swipe at it and went back down into the dark. 

Did not find them willing to take the jig and crawler like my past visits in 2014 and 2015 (which were both in early September).

Experimented this time with some homemade bottom bouncers just to see how they would run. It was during day light but I was not ready for the night shift with them. My boat trolls to fast, about 2 - 2.2 mph into the current and that is something I know I will need to address to be effective.

Nice catch Esox. Maybe a muskie bite on your walleye?

Good luck to those lucky enough to get out. I am going to be back later this summer.

Stillwater.

The fishing was good this weekend, some nights you had to work harder than others. Prof t is right, conditions were perfect every night. I fished every day 8-11pm and 3 am-5 30 am Friday through Sunday morning . Tried some new spots with some luck and found a new lure that works better than the ones I was using before if that is possible.

Back to work for a few days. I get to "sleep in" all week for work before I get to do it all over again!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-154542-14664326173939_thumb.jpg

The fishing was good this weekend, some nights you had to work harder than others. Prof t is right, conditions were perfect every night. I fished every day 8-11pm and 3 am-5 30 am Friday through Sunday morning . Tried some new spots with some luck and found a new lure that works better than the ones I was using before if that is possible.

Back to work for a few days. I get to "sleep in" all week for work before I get to do it all over again!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Awesome job!!!

Stillwater, I face the same issues....l am relatively new new to walleye fishing and working out the bugs in my program. My boat is too big for an electric trolling motor and I dont want to put a kicker on it. The boat trolls too fast when bottom bouncing and Im simply forced to put it in and out out of gear to achieve proper speed. I pray for favorable wind conditions when fishing so that I can drift at proper speeds and maintain bottom contact. It is a real pain..... The things we do to chase fish!! I am experimenting with solutions. As for the walleye, no doubt in my mind it was a muskie that hammered it. It was shredded on top and bottom. Very cool.

Stillwater, I face the same issues....l am relatively new new to walleye fishing and working out the bugs in my program. My boat is too big for an electric trolling motor and I dont want to put a kicker on it. The boat trolls too fast when bottom bouncing and Im simply forced to put it in and out out of gear to achieve proper speed. I pray for favorable wind conditions when fishing so that I can drift at proper speeds and maintain bottom contact. It is a real pain..... The things we do to chase fish!! I am experimenting with solutions. As for the walleye, no doubt in my mind it was a muskie that hammered it. It was shredded on top and bottom. Very cool.

If your trolling up stream try bags or buckets to slow ya down, buckets are cheap to try, then purchase bags.

I like your idea Pap. I have a nice large drift sock that I can try next time. Didn't want to do too many things at once this time with the bouncers. Did get a feel for how they run, lure action and how the rod loads up etc. I had 14 pound test on and with the homemade ones I was concerned about the weight being to much. Need a stiffer rod as well for that. It was bending too much. 

Esox, thanks for your comments. Sounds like we face similar boat control issues and are both hooked by the walleyes. Makes it interesting. I have a fairly heavy bayliner 20.5 open bow that is a fun recreational boat but not ideal for SLR walleye fishing unless like you said it is a favorable wind to drift with the current through the good runs.

(Anyone know how I can get a profile picture to post without turning upside down. I tried posting both ways and it wants to turn my pic so it is upside down?)

I got the same problem, I'm using an older iPad I think my daughters are from last year and they come out right every time or use a regular camera down load to computer where you have the option to rotate the pic. if need be. Feel your pain