Canandaigua Panfish?

ejg

Hi.  Just moved to Farmington area and have been focused mostly on teaching my little girl to fish the last few years.  she turns 4 in August. it is going very well so far and she has really been into it and we go at least once most weeks, but looking to expand a little bit, get her into some perch and bigger bluegills and other stuff a little this year and a couple additional boat trips under her belt - plus since the kids it is pretty hard to get the boat out.  Canandaigua lake is very close but i have never fished it for panfish, only honeoye and conesus for panfish.  at her age, long trips in the car and then fishing is a little tough but honoye is still reasonable and actually closer than it use to be but hoping we might get into some decent panfishing in canandaigua and was looking for some feedback on if it can be okay for panfish and if anyone had any pointers on water depth to target this time of year in that lake if going for bluegill or perch?

Thanks,

Eric

Yeah Canandaigua (as are all of the fingers) is great for panfish. Probably many can chime in with tips for you. But I want to suggest Ganargua creek which runs into the canal at Palmyra. You can access it from any bridge on a north south road (Alderman Rd. in Macedon just before coming to rt.31, for example) coming out of Farmington. Great for nice bluegills and some smallies and largemouths. The canal at the locks in Palmyra (in the park) is also pretty good with nice carp and sometimes walleyes. The ganargua creek crosses the canal here and there are many easy access points from shore to catch panfish including crappie from there. No boats needed...short ride from Farmington. Check Google maps for planning

• 1 month later...

Took my son in law to Canandaigua today looking for some panfish. His first trip fishing so I didn't expect much. The perch and sunfish are widely scattered in 13-18' and they are not big. We got off the lake early because of all the pleasure crafts and the wind.  Looks like we will have to wait until late Sept.

Had a good morning on the lake catching perch. Three of us kept 22 perch  from 8-11 inches, three jumbo sunnies and a 13 inch smallmouth. Fished the southeast side in 25 fow .Could have used a breeze for a nice drift, had to use the electric most of the morning to create one.