New downrigger ball technique I plan on trying out this summer.

Hey guys,

I often follow a certain Columbia river guide on YouTube, and am going to try a technique he was showing on my 12 pound rigger balls this summer.  I have bought a couple of those Big Al Fish Flash triangular flashers, and 2 of the Agitator brand.  I am going to attach these flashers directly to the rear ring of my downrigger ball, as an attractant only.  I will then add a very large snap swivel, of about 2" in length, below my Black's release, and connect that swivel to my forward ring on the rigger ball.  This should give enough room between the release and my attractor flashers, so the line does not tangle.  Then I will use fairly short leads, and spoons, and see how it works.  The idea is that the fast spinning strobe type, triangular flashers will attract the fish into the spread, and then they will see the spoons, and eat them.  I will let you know how this works out after my 4th of July trip to Lake Michigan.  Seems to work good on the Columbia river, but we all know how that does not always translate well to the Great Lakes.  Thanks. :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Back in the late 80s Gold Star made triangular shaped 'flashers' that went between your cable and weight  - we then ran pinch pad releases off the back of the flashers - they definately worked

Back in the late 80s Gold Star made triangular shaped 'flashers' that went between your cable and weight  - we then ran pinch pad releases off the back of the flashers - they definately worked

I like that idea, too.  I will try that as well.  Thanks.

I have done that for the last year and a half on one side of the boat. I have not had great results. I had only had one day which it did okay. Other than that one day I feel it did less the the other side without the lake troll. Like any other presentation it has its days and maybe just its time of day. Let the fish tell you what they want.

Good luck and tight lines