marlin electric hp downrigger repair

Hey guys, 

Last year I bought two used Marlin Hp's (standard). They seemed to be in pretty good condition but need some tuning up. First, I need to re-spool one of the riggers. I don't think I can remove the plastic spool from the downrigger. Do I just remove the old cable and rewire the new cable similar to that of a fishing reel? As you can tell I am new to this.

Second, one of the riggers has short stop but was touchy on the water last year. The other rigger was altered. The previous owner removed short stop and installed a reverse motor switch. I am looking to do the same with the rigger that currently has short stop because I think the wiring is shot. Any suggestions when it comes to this?

Again, I am new to this and would love some help! 

Thanks,

Dan 

You don't need to remove spool to change cable- just unwind old cable then cut and use a couple cable crimps to attach new to old. When you wind on new cable keep it tight-have someone help makes it easier as you want to lay it on smoothly. Not sure what you mean by "reverse motor switch"-likely the battery feeds are reversed. Take the side cover off and switch them - motor should work switch up to come up then switch down to go down. Fish 307 is a good source of info-parts breakdown is on line.

You don't need to remove spool to change cable- just unwind old cable then cut and use a couple cable crimps to attach new to old. When you wind on new cable keep it tight-have someone help makes it easier as you want to lay it on smoothly. Not sure what you mean by "reverse motor switch"-likely the battery feeds are reversed. Take the side cover off and switch them - motor should work switch up to come up then switch down to go down. Fish 307 is a good source of info-parts breakdown is on line.

Thanks for the advice!

How much old wire should I leave to crimp the new wire too? A foot? A few inches?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Lake Ontario United mobile app