Prop Shop?

JakeyBaby

Anyone know of a shop in the Rochester area that can diagnose if my prop is out of whack and repair ? At a troll all is good but once under power I get a pretty good amount of vibration. I don't feel in the wheel but in the floor its pretty noticeable. I'm sure some if from the exhaust given the plastic "muffler" makes contact with my main deck access panel. Figured I would try and start with prop to limit the vibration down.

Anyone know of a shop in the Rochester area that can diagnose if my prop is out of whack and repair ? At a troll all is good but once under power I get a pretty good amount of vibration. I don't feel in the wheel but in the floor its pretty noticeable. I'm sure some if from the exhaust given the plastic "muffler" makes contact with my main deck access panel. Figured I would try and start with prop to limit the vibration down.

I hope it isn't the prop shaft bearing, does it make a grinding noise at all or just vibration?

X2 on Propeller Works. They are tops and serve the whole state. Great folks to deal with and family business. 53 Leicester Street Canandaigua 14424 Tel:585-394-1860

I just contacted Propeller Works, seem like great people! No grinding just vibration. I also just watched a you tube video on how to balance the prop if it's not damaged. Fortunately I have all the tools I need here at work to check if it indeed is the prop. If it is I will be taking it out to propeller works. Thanks for the tip!

Is it a inboard or I/O ? If inboard it could be your cutless bearing which is basically a plastic sleave that goes in your strut and the drive shaft rides on it. If I/0 it could be your universal joint. If you haven't hit anything or there are no noticeable dings on your prop I would pretty much rule the prop out.

Just an FYI they use a special balancing machine at the prop works and they can check for any slight misalignment of the fins which may not be detected by "eyeballing". Sometimes the things that throw it out of balance aren't readily seen with the usual "by hand" procedures.

• 3 weeks later...

Just drop a new one on, if it goes away you know it's the prop. If it doesn't go away get the boat out of the water and find the problem. Running it at is will resort in way bigger problem which could of been prevented, it will raise havoc with the whole drive line using it as is!!