Oneida on calm sunny days

fishhard23

Anyone have some pointers on catching walleye on calm sunny days? Cloudy days with a decent chop are the best, but when the wind is non-existent and sun is bright, what are your techniques? Prefer to jig and drift but have all the gear to troll as well. Any pointers are appreciated! Thanks

Oneida is not a deep lake, find weeds the eyes will seek shelter from the sun stay back from the weeds and pitch the Rapala Jigging Rap to the edge of the weeds and pop the rap back to ya. Troll real slow along the the front edge of the grass, cover turf, they usually hit the rap on the down fall so watch your line anything looks out of the norm, set the hook. We spent a week on Oneida and this theory worked good for us. Good luck guys!!!

• 1 month later...

I do exactly like pap says...  until the sun gets up high, then I start  trolling, working deeper as I go, in deep water near shoals, humps and points. Once I get a fish in deep water, I mark a waypoint and will pull my trolling gear and jig the area for a bit before resetting gear and trolling to locate more fish.

Great advice. There are 2 consistent bites I know in the calm high sun. Deep basin trolling. 3-5 color leadcore with cranks/sticks always seems to get you a pretty steady pick. And in the weeds. I've hammered them in 3-8' of water on hot August days.

I know a lot of guys drag spinners but the ones I've talked to have had a tough time with that of late.

In summer just troll the buoy line as Landshark said....they suspend and cooperate very consistently there...there are many summer posts with exact details for this type of trolling if you look back at previous seasons. Dont drag bottom...you want the suspended active fish...