Oneida 6/18 Evening Troll

Miss em

Set lines at 5:00 and trolled for a couple hours.  Ended up with 6 keepers and 15 shorts.  Bakers dozen of decent perch too.  Bare Naked Reef Runners, spoons on 30 foot jet divers, and # 9 and #11 White Perch Rapalas back 60 to 80 feet on the riggers.  Perch like the #7 White perch seven feet behind the ball.  35 fow in front of Lakeport. 

Works  every time!  We were going to head to Otisco but I was hoping for some sure fire fillets frying in some oil!  Only our second time fishing this year.  Been working on the new place and moving but we are getting ahead of it now.  Be ready for some summer thermocline fishing on Otisco soon enough.

Cornell creel census worker says it has been slow on Oneida.  Ours was the best catch on walleyes he has seen since he started a couple weeks ago.

The alewives are in full lakewide every night and day trolling is tough! Finding numbers of big fish at night is doable...catching them is like unicorn hunting many nights...but I'm hooked on the challenge...☺ As far as creel surveys go tell em next time to start checking the right boats! Walleye are not elusive in Oneida!

I fished Oneida Lake  this weekend with my son, we didn't do that well, three eyes two perch and a few gobes. I was trying to figure out how to kill them I decided to drown them so I hooked one up to a black and purple jig and cast it out to drown,boy it was pulling hard for a little fish,wait a nice eye eat it. can you believe that, guess I'll  have to find a better way to kill them. LoL.

I was catching so many gobies last year on lake ontario that I ran out of worms and started using gobies for bait  drifting with a hook and sinker and pounded big smallies with them and had something large bite me off at dusk and wondered if it was a walleye since it was in an area where I have caught a couple 30" eyes.  Give it a try on the little "O" since gobies can't swallow large bait.

• 2 weeks later...