Sodus 6/18/2016 - My Daughters First

Fished Sodus waters 5-9:00 pm.  2 for 5.  West out of channel.  My daughter caught her first King!!  18 lbs off rigger down 126 ft over 122 ft.  She now knows why they call them KINGS!  Blisters and arm cramps.  Glow & black spin doctor with blue fly, back 18 ft off ball.  Had 49 degrees down 120 ft with slight current, running 2.5 - 2.7 mph speed at lure.  Marked lots of bait near and on bottom, many pods with marks.  I caught a 22 lb Laker off the steel dipsy set on #2, counter of 333 in 133 fow.  Glow & green spin doctor with green fly.  I never had a Laker do this, but it screamed out to 550 on the counter and fought and took numerous short runs all the way back to the boat.  I was expecting a King at the net, but was totally surprised with it being a Laker...wow!  Both fish were revived and released for another day of work.

Thank You to a big powder-blue 30 foot fishing boat exiting the channel into the bay.  One of the guys yelled towards me, 130 foot, 130 foot!  That's what I did and it turned out to be just the right real-time scouting report.  I was planning to start out in 300 fow.  Appreciate that non-solicited communication, who ever you are!

Edited by anviltop

I am guessing that 30'foot powder blue boat was the Harry Bee, piloted by Andy.... both he and his first mate SAM are known for screaming at people. LMAO :)

and yes they are extremely helpful to anyone working the waters out there.... if you have a Marine Radio, we are always on.... mostly 16....

Edited by reelintense

... down 126 ft over 122 ft.

Wait...wouldn't that put you in the mud?  Or have I been reading these numbers wrong all along? ....that might explain some things.  

Edited by PhlyanPan

I am guessing that 30'foot powder blue boat was the Harry Bee, piloted by Andy.... both he and his first mate SAM are known for screaming at people. LMAO :)

and yes they are extremely helpful to anyone working the waters out there.... if you have a Marine Radio, we are always on.... mostly 16....

Isn't 16 the coast guard channel? Could be wrong but good to know

I am guessing that 30'foot powder blue boat was the Harry Bee, piloted by Andy.... both he and his first mate SAM are known for screaming at people. LMAO[emoji2]

I'm glad they did. Thanks for that info. I'll call them next times I am out to thank them[emoji41]

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app

yes that was the hairy bee that gave the info i was on board glad we could help your daughter get her first salmon.

Much appreciated! Thank you very much! It was a great evening for fishing. It's so cool to see women and kids catch fish, especially salmon. They follow your guidance and do it right the first time. Unlike some guys who just want to muscle them in. My daughter did great and she also cleared all the lines and downriggers when I caught my laker that thought it was a king[emoji2] [emoji2].

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Quite a few on 9 out of Sodus, handful of others on other channels- up near the 68 range... I like to listen in- put my radio on scan and talk to guys out there... It makes a full day of fishing go by a little easier if you get to listen/participate in a little conversation throughout the day- and yes- reeldilemma33- coasties main channel is 16, and they use 22a to take reports of flotsam and jetsam, etc... from boaters. Fair winds and following seas to all! Keep your lines tight and hope to hear y'all out there next time I'm on the boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United