Hi, I recently bought a couple 22" amish bags for my boat. I had a trolling plate on my last boat and recently bought a new boat and the bags. Its a 19' Grady white tournament. The bags slow the boat down great but they really steer the boat around, if I let the wheel go the boat will turn pretty sharply. The boat has hydraulic steering and the motor stays straight, the bags definately are causing the problem. Does anyone have any advice on using these bags. I hang them off the bow rails and let them drop backabout 2/3 of the boat length, maybe there is a better way. Thanks, Jer

If you are using 1 bag the boat will favor that side of the boat. With 2 bags one per side you should have no trouble staying straight. You might have to kick up the speed a little with 2 bags to get proper trolling speed for the target species.

Sounds like you have them attached too close to the bow. I have a pair of the 36" Amish bags on my 30' Baha tied to the middle cleats. Usually I troll with only one bag port or starboard and don't notice the boat pulling to that side. Try moving them and let me know how it works out. Kindest regards.

-Steve D

I use two Amish 22 inch bags on my 21 fter, try to run the bags a little further back, I tie mine up mid ship on short leads so they run 2 ft from the back of the boat. I don't have any problems with steering and I only run a kicker so I have less thrust holding my course vs the main motor

Thanks guys, you got me thinking...I bet by tying them to the bow and letting them run back I have too much line out. I notice the bags can move away from the boat in the wind and current. Probably act like a sea anchor. I'm going to tie them further back and shorten the leads...

I once tried buckets with holes, not very effective.... not enough surface area and they clunk your boat unless you put them straight out the back and then they are less effective and in the way of trolling operations

are these different from drift socks? Where do you get them? I need to slow my boat down....was thinking of using 5 gal buckets with holes. which is better?

Yes. Don't use drift bags, they aren't constructed to sustain trolling speeds. Amish outfitter bags are made with trolling in mind.

I run 1-28 inch on a 28 foot with a 350. Only when I have a 20 mph wind on the stern do I need the 2nd bag.

Google Amish Outfitter buggy bag and you'll find them.

A related question:

I have a 275 Penn Yan and run my bags from the front cleat. Yes it gets lots of swing but the auto pilot deals with that now. My boat doesn't have a center cleat. I keep my rope long enough to allow me to pull the bag inside behind the hardtop for stowing.

Question: Are the bow railing uprights strong enough to tie the bags from versus the cleat. This will allow a shorter and more aft front lead and less swing.

1. Make sure you have the same length of line for each bag. If one is longer it will pull different.

2. There should be a nylon loop on the small opening of the bag. If you tie a "tag line" to this and tie the other end of the tag line off to the side of the boat, so that the small opening of the bag is just under the water. This will allow you to hold both of the bags at the same depth in the water. If one bag is running deeper because of wave action or turning, it will pull at a different angle and affect the pull on the boat. The tag line will also prevent the bags from swinging out to the side.

I'm not sure how well I described this. But essentially you have the front and rear of your bag tied to the boat, and that keeps them fairly stable and should stabilize your pull.

If you have any more questions, please send me you number, and I will be glad to talk to you.

Good luck

The Dirty-Worm

Jekyll,

I wouldn't trust the bow rail uprights. Usually they are only surface mounted whereas your cleats are bolted thru the deck.

Girard,

I know its expensive, but have you considered a aux trolling motor? Expensive at first but I think it will pay for itself in a few years in gas saved. I have a 20' Grady Adventure with a 9.9 4 stroke that works great in all but the snottyest conditions. I can control my speed to tenths of a mile. You could probably get away with an 8 hp.

It also gives me peace of mind knowing I have a back up in case the big motor craps out. Just as important, I can troll for 12 hours on less than 5 gallon$ of ga$. Besides, I also never felt comfortable basically idling a large 2 stroke engine day in and day out. It's not what they were designed for. If you would like to know my set up...PM me.

Sully