Got an e-mail from DEC

Anyone else get an e-mail about the NY Sea Grant? They are looking for proposals for 2 goals that would cost $25,000. Here is the copy and paste of the email, if there is anyone that knows how to write a proposal or interested in it give me a PM and I will forward it you. Vince you might be interested or know someone that could write a proposal.

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
DEC Delivers - Information to keep you connected and informed from the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
Share or view as a web page || Update preferences or unsubscribe
New York Sea Grant and New York Department of Environmental Conservation Requesting Proposals for Small Grants Program

Proposals Due September 23, 2016

New York Sea Grant in partnership with the New York Department of Environmental Conservation is requesting proposals for projects that serve to benefit the environment and economy of New York’s Great Lakes basin.

Grants of up to $25,000 will be awarded for projects that implement Goal #5 and/or Goal #7 of the Great Lakes Action Agenda. Respectively, these goals are to:

“conserve and restore native fish and wildlife biodiversity and habitats to achieve and sustain resilient ecosystems and vibrant economies†and
“enhance community resiliency and ecosystem integrity through restoration, protection, and improved resource managementâ€

Project planning, design, and/or implementation, information management tool development, demonstration projects, and targeted outreach and education initiatives are eligible. Projects must be located within or be directly related to the Great Lakes basin region of New York.

To help not-for-profit organizations, local governmental and public agencies, and public and private educational institutions apply for grants, New York Sea Grant will offer informational webinars on July 11, 2016 at 12pm and July 25, 2016 at 12pm. Those interested in attending may register at https://reg.cce.cornell.edu/SmallGrantsProgramWebinars_112.

For questions or more information, please email Heather Weitzner at [email protected].

Proposals will be due by September 23, 2016. Grants will be announced the week of October 31, 2016. Full request for proposals and application guidelines are online at http://www.nyseagrant.org/proposals.

This small grants program is made possible by the New York State Environmental Protection Fund and Article 14 of Environmental Conservation Law.

Very interesting.  I wonder if there might be some type of artificial reef project that could be done to add some structure to ports like Sodus, where there really isn't much.  I wonder if there's something small that could be done to help the alewife population?

Chas, due to the "movement", this will prioritize projects that could help with natural reproduction of NATIVE species. I would think a shoal or stream rehab would be projects that could qualify. Another very worthy proposal that wont happen on the south shore is the removal of a dam so salmonoids can access spawning water. Not only would this be met with opposition, but far too expensive for the amount of the grants.

Ruff rider, although a good thought about a reef or a shoal for alewife spawning, they will not support that as they are considered an invasive and very adaptive as to where they spawn-- they can shift their annual spawning areas based on water temps and available food.

And which of the dams are you thinking of that could be on that list? I can think of only 2 that would even have bottom substrate that would have any gravel above the dam, but the water would not have temps that are ideal for spawning fish thus I'll stick with a number of zero. Most likely that money would be better off suited for streamside plantings and rehab rather than a dam removal.