Cayuga...Salvation army derby

The problem with the derby is everyone is fishing for one fish. The lunker is the only thing that pays worth a Damn. If you place first in any division youd be lucky to come home with $200. If by chance you do win lunker uncle Sam gets a chunk of it. Buddy of mine won lunker a couple years ago and got taxed for it. He doesn't fish it anymore. Good luck though

That's funny. First place is $500. Edit: oops I see the brochure doesn't say but that's what I remember.

And first you complain it doesn't pay enough, then complain that when you do win more it gets taxed. Never heard of winning money causing someone to stop fishing either...

Edited by hermit

Darkwater, when my buddy won it and it was time to give out cash he was the only person that didn't receive any. They sent him a check in the mail a week later. I believe he was suppose to get 1200 and when the check came it was 800 and some change. He was already pissed when he didn't receive it at the weigh in but when he got the check he was freaking pissed. I guess anything over a grand they tax

The Salvation Army is just covering their butts by following the law. Anything over $600 in NYS, tax is supposed to be withheld when the check is cut. You are in fact supposed to report and pay tax on all winnings, even the guys winning 100 bucks for third place or whatever. It counts as earned income.

Nobody really does that of course, but as an organization the SA has to follow the law and deduct the tax for you if the check is over $600. That's why he didn't get cash and had the tax removed. I'm willing to bet the Lake Trout Derby on Seneca does the same thing, does anyone know?

Edited by hermit

My wife and I will be there to support the worthwhile cause, see ya out there!! Good luck!

If anyone gets a chance take a picture of the leader board so that the 8 lbers that may not make the board can be released to become 12's lol!

Edited by Nautitroller

I wouldn't mind paying the tax on winning a derby if they would allow me deductions on my fishing gear...lol I would be in the red every year... Just ask my wife...

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I don't see why you could not do that as long as you can go long form , every turny you enter win or loose cost $$$ keep track and file,,,,,,,,,,,

We need more radio chatter during these derbys. Most guys are running channel 68. I would like to get a few updates on the leader board. That way Im not keeping a fish that does not make the board. If someone weighs a fish in early please give a shout on the radio.I kept a 7.8 laker during the Owasco derby If I would have known 9 was the bottom that fish would still be swimming.  Good luck to all....

We weighed in at one pm today at the time the only ones to weigh in yet, had an 8.0 laker, 7-5 Laker and a 4-9 bow. I'm Sure they will get bumped! Great day of fishing for us boating 20+ before 10am. Be back out in am good luck to all!

Lake is a bit blown up or has an algae bloom going on, visibility is definitely lessened.

Edited by Nautitroller

The fish were still there today, lots of doubles n one triple. Caught two descent salmon on 11" paddle n fly. Our digital scale lied to us many times saying 8 lbs three times and many in the 7 lb range (Lakers), all fish went back today. Yesterday we had a huge fish taco party that all the neighbors loved.

Our quote of the day was " dry conditions will continue" HA!! rained n rained and wind blew well over 20mph today we bobbed it out.. BTW I dislike my weather channel app, the senior prognosticator must have been off this weekend:lol:

Congratulations to all that placed!!

John, we were out today around 9am an managed a rainbow, landlocked salmon and a Laker that probably was around 8-9 lbs. The water was rough! Did not spend a lot of time on the water (less than 3 hours) for obvious reasons. Oh, the following were productive all FLT: black meat PD, purple veggies, phsycho sematic.

The wife and I are off tomorrow so we are going to hit the water again in the AM (hopefully a little earlier usually we work nights!!) Laker was at 110 feet down over 240 feet of water, salmon at around 50 feet over 125 and the bow at 50 over 130.