5 Asian Carp Discovered in Toronto

EsoxAC3

This may not be the proper forum for this topic but sadly this is going to effect our walleye fishery. I am at a loss for words really. The asian carp is a nightmare and now its in Lake O... The specimens discovered were up to 9 years old and sexually mature. Our days are numbered it would seem......

As I understand it, the asian grass carp poses real risk to the ecosystem.... By demolishing vegetation that would be used for cover or consumed by baitfish and smaller year class fish. Given the fact that the specimens recovered were in the 20-30 lb range and only about 36" long.... Thats eating a lot of salad!!

There was an article in the Watertown Daily news from June 07 about 1 being brought in by commercial fishermen in the St Lawrence east of Montreal at the end of May. I can't get the link to the article to work though

Edited by spinfly

Sterile grass carp are sometimes used by pond owners to control vegetation.  You must first obtain a permit from the DEC.  The permit is for a specific number of grass carp and the permit must be shown to the provider(certified seller).  I believe these carp are called "triploid", having an extra set of chromosomes which causes sterility.  I was told they are produced by "shocking" the eggs shortly after they are fertilized.  They worked great in my pond.

Thanx for that link Esox AC3. Boy. Even the press did not get it right. I mean getting folks riled up with grass carp. As many do know, however, it is NOT the Grass or common carp that are the big problem as regards to fisheries. It is the bighead and silver carp that everyone is worried about. They are plankton feeders. And the silvers are the ones that fly out of the water. And the silvers do not get to the big sizes that regular common and grass carp get. Plus, plenty of folks still think ANY and ALL carp are bad for business and will freak out and get them all confused with one another.