More dipsy questions

Came up in fall with hopes of catching a fish trolling. Hit 50 ft mark first light graphed 0 went out to 90 same hit 120 saw bait trolled dipseys and flashers and spoons. Had one quick realese then blank screen. Headed out to 150 and saw fish at q100 to 125 ft didn't know how to get down that far. Talked to a captain said to × 3 so I did with 30# power pro 300 ft back at 2.6 to 2.9 mph had a runner after first hr pulled hook had another couldn't get it in the net broke off. Question is at 100 ft down same setup with mag dipsys how far back and should I be slower? Want to come out again and try to get a fish. Probably go to oswego and run out but if fish are 150 plus down I want to be ready. Thanks I am limited to calm days 3 ft or less. And have to run bags I idle at 3.5 mph.

post-159402-0-94988600-1466512770_thumb.jpg

Looks like a bass boat....Do you have a bow mount trolling motor? If so troll yourself down with that. The fish are going to dictate what speed they want. Somedays they are hitting at 2.1 others 2.8. You can find all the charts you need on dipsy trolling online. If I were you I would kick the rods ot to the side. Run a 2 setting on the dipsy to spread them apar farther and I would invest in a 400 copper set up and run that right down the chute. 

I run outside right at 3 and the other 2 at 0. Yes I do 101 36 volt problem is head turns when on constant. Have to find a way to pin the peddle so it runs straight. Then I can get down to 2.1 range if I run meat. I run 1 bag up wind 2.3 to 2.6. Mags the same ×3 or less?

Glasswater gave you some good suggestions for rod setup etc. One of the things that strikes me is that in order to get down 100-125 ft with dipseys you do have to let out a bunch of line but you also have to have the right dipsey and I'm not sure which ones you were using. I use the heavier and larger 124 mm Deeper Diver (now under different name?) which will get me down that deep and even deeper (e.g. 151 ft. with 350ft of wire out) but not at those speeds. If you are trolling a diver at 2.6- 2.9 even the bigger divers will lift up out of the expected range and most of the time if running a spinney or flasher fly combo you won't want them running that fast anyway and spoons behind flashers would have to be carefully selected to run right too. I know 30# Power Pro cuts through the water well but an additional factor is that with standard sized dipseys there is a point that is reached where they will not go much or any deeper no matter how much line is let out they just trail further behind the boat. Reduced speed is necessary to get them   down further and depending on the circumstance and setup that may not always be productive either.

Edited by Sk8man

I here ya dealing with what I have. Going slower not a problem I can just put another bag out thinking off getting a tx44 board to open my spread up some and running the dinner plate dipsy down the middle and the regular size Dipsey 300 back on a board and driver side on 2 setting 350 back depending where fish are.

I'm just mulling over the speed issue....not sure what size motor you have  but that speed sounds awfully high for your slowest speed. I know my 135 Optimax gets down to 1.8 at 540 RPM's even with the high performance SS prop.  (idle adjustment  or prop change needed?)

Copper Copper Copper. Trust me we just moved up from a smaller boat and on a tight rig copper was the cleanest most effective thing we found. Unlike the dipsys you can put the copper out on boards and give your self plenty of room to fight the fish and and a super clean net path at the back of the boat. I am not saying to abandon the dipsy game because some days they will be the only thing that fires consistently. As SK8 said your lure choice is going to dictate your speeds

I'm just mulling over the speed issue....not sure what size motor you have  but that speed sounds awfully high for your slowest speed. I know my 135 Optimax gets down to 1.8 at 540 RPM's even with the high performance SS prop.  (idle adjustment  or prop change needed?)

I was thinking the same. My 115 Yamaha on a 19 foot Lund trolls down to 1.8. A prop change in size or pitch might be in order

I'm just mulling over the speed issue....not sure what size motor you have but that speed sounds awfully high for your slowest speed. I know my 135 Optimax gets down to 1.8 at 540 RPM's even with the high performance SS prop. (idle adjustment or prop change needed?)

its a 250 proxs with 26 p 3 blade or 26p 4 blade, different boats mine runs 74mph lol Edited by phil2

Do you have the drift paddle for your power pole? That will let you control your speed well....there is a downrigger attachment too if you wanted to get 1 line down out your way 8-10 feet. Cable steer tms don't work to well to troll...if you were gonna do this very much I'd get a detachable tm mount and an electric steer for trolling

I've never used drift socks but the ones used by friends were always in twos of the same type and one on each side of the boat to balance things out

Did some mods for next weekend. Either running out from salmon river to sandy hit the 150 line day 1 or oswego. I can run my 2 mag dipsys down the center and going to try walleye boards with smaller dipsy out to side. If not send dipsy out on 2.75 back to were I see fish.

post-159402-0-69951900-1466957213_thumb.jpg

I would not run a diver off a board it will just pull the board under.

For quick reference (works best with wire divers) so if you have magnum diver at 2 setting every 2ft you let out will get you 1ft down.

So if your using braid may need to add a few more feet. If your marking run for 10mins if nothing let out another 10-15ft and so on.

You MAX speed at running paddles with meat or flies should. 2.5mph maybe 2.7.

Make sure you put some zig and zag in your troll DON'T troll straight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Lake Ontario United mobile app