Autopilot recommendation for MerCruiser with Power Assist

Diversion

I'm looking for an autopilot for my 24' Penn Yan with MerCruiser I/O with power assist steering. There seems to be a ton of hydraulic options out there, but not so much for power assisted steering. If Simrad still made the AP12R that's what I would have been buying. What are the current options out there?

Thanks for any input.

Thanks for that. Those look like remote steer units, I'm really looking for an autopilot where I don't have to steer. I thought I remembered seeing an autopilot by Octupus, or Octupus drive or something along that name.

Thanks for that. Those look like remote steer units, I'm really looking for an autopilot where I don't have to steer. I thought I remembered seeing an autopilot by Octupus, or Octupus drive or something along that name.

They can be linked to a control head of your choice to make full auto pilot. Call them.

Ive had pretty good luck with my raymarine evolution 200 series sport pilot. 

They were/are a good unit. Unfortunately Raymarine no longer offers them & as of this spring had no intentions of producing them again.

I have looked hard at the remote octopus drive. The one that mounts back by the engine and slaves onto the the power assist ram. The drive unit on this one is way more robust than my sport pilot. If my sport pilot ever starts giving me a lot of problems I'll switch to this unit. It is still a more cost effective optio than switching over to hydraulic steering and hydraulic autopilot.